Typhoon Fengshen, aka Frank, Leave Phillipines For Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
2 maps show expected path, third map is an orientation map with Taiwan marked...

Cat 1 is still a Typhoon and this one has already killed in the Phillipines.

Attachments

• wp200807.gif
    wp200807.gif
    32 KB · Views: 47
  • wp200807_model.gif
    wp200807_model.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 59
  • map2.jpg
    map2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 41
Now downgraded to Tropical Storm, forecast to go inland...

2elseig.gif

100 US sailors marooned in Hong Kong girlie bars as ships depart : Asia World

Hong Kong - More than 100 US sailors were marooned Tuesday in Hong Kong's famous "girlie" bars after their aircraft carrier hoisted anchor and left without them. The sailors were left behind when the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier and its support ships, carrying a total of more than 5,000 sailors, decided to leave Sunday because of an approaching tropical storm.

While officers managed to contact most of the men who had been on shore leave in the former British colony since Thursday, more than 100 could not be reached and were left behind.

They now have to wait several days in Hong Kong before being flown to the aircraft carrier group's next port of call, which is kept secret for operational reasons.

The sailors were expected to spend most of that time in Hong Kong's Wan Chai district - famous for its raunchy nightlife and Filipino bar girls. The US Navy would cover their hotel and meal costs.

"I'm sure they are not tremendously depressed," US Navy spokesman Lieutenant Ron Flanders told the South China Morning Post newspaper in a story published Tuesday.

One sailor stranded in a Wan Chai bar Sunday evening as his colleagues headed out to sea told the newspaper, "Hong Kong is a fantastic city to be stuck in."

The sudden departure of the USS Ronald Reagan and its support ships was caused by Typhoon Fengshen, which lashed the Philippines and caused a storm warning to be issued in Hong Kong.

Attachments

• wp200807.gif
    wp200807.gif
    25.1 KB · Views: 52
I would like to say thank you for always keeping us up to date with the weather and what is going on in the world today. I always make sure I look at this forum everyday to make sure I am not missing anything I should know about.
Again thank you:blinking:
Becky

I would like to say thank you for always keeping us up to date with the weather and what is going on in the world today. I always make sure I look at this forum everyday to make sure I am not missing anything I should know about.
Again thank you:blinking:
Becky
Hehe, well you are kind, TY - but check the Google headlines, too. My posts are hit and miss here.

I thot the story about the stranded, partying sailors in this thread might soften the atmosphere of the forum with the other stories in the Philippines thread. Even tho a Tropical Storm now, it could cause flooding in China, and flooding is historically the biggest killer of cyclones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom