Boston area dives compared to north shore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've kept my boats(s) in Salem for the last 8 years. In the last year I moved to the south shore and the drive to Salem is growing tedious. I have been thinking about buying a mooring (if possible) in or near Quincy. Assuming I can acquire (purchase/not rent) a mooring in this area, how do the dive sites compare to the North shore?

My favorite overall dive site in this area is probably halfway rock. It offers everything...depth...shallows...fish...lobster....interesting topography, etc. Are there comparable sites (wreck and natural) in the Boston area?

It would be great to get the perspective from those who have been diving in both areas. I've always concentrated my diving from Halfway Rock to the north side of Cape Ann.

Thanks

In general, Matt, the viz is better on the North Shore than in Boston harbor. But, if you dive off of Scituate or Plymouth in Cape Cod Bay the viz is excellent sometimes around 30+. The best viz I ever had in NE was a few years ago diving the Pinthis -- 30' or so. Lots of wrecks in the harbor itself, but mostly broken up. Real deep ones might be intact(too deep for me). If lobster is your thing, I've had better luck on the North Shore. Capt. Pat used to complain about the ride from his mooring in Quincy to the harbor area because of the no wake policy in the Fore River. You might want to keep that in might if you're looking for a mooring. I think he was at the Bay Point Marina. God Luck.

LobstaMan

Thanks
Yeah long distance no wakes zones are a pain in arse. I'm 100 yards away from the end of the Water Safety Zone which is nice. I too used to be in a spot where I had to cruise at headway speed for 15 minutes before I could hit the gas.

If the diving was less enjoyable to the south I would leave my boat where it is. I sure like the idea of a 15 minute drive to my boat vs. the hour drive I have now but only if the experience would be the same or better.

I dive out of Quincy most weekends. We dive the area you are talking about. I am a member of South Shore Neptunes South Shore Neptunes . Drop in on a meeting and you should be able to hook up with divers. We normally leave from Quincy Yacht club where a lot of our boat owners are members. This is on Houghs Neck and the boat ride to the open ocean is much shorter than any other area in Quincy which includes Hingham and Weymouth. I believe most of the boaters own moorings here and I believe Quincy recently added a mooring tax. Not sure how much. I prefer boat diving out of Quincy over the shore diving I have done on Cape Ann. There are some very good dives in the area. I would recommend getting out for at least a couple of weekends and then make a decision.

There are some nice dives on Cape Ann, but with one or two exceptions, my favorite dives have all been between Nahant and the Pinthis wreck. There are great dives in the harbor... I've had 35' vis, I've gotten 5 legal lobsters in a 20 minute dive off... let's just say "off one of the islands", and there's great scalloping and some interesting wrecks too. There are some great dive sites with infrequent use along the coast south of Hull too.

There are some nice dives on Cape Ann, but with one or two exceptions, my favorite dives have all been between Nahant and the Pinthis wreck. There are great dives in the harbor... I've had 35' vis, I've gotten 5 legal lobsters in a 20 minute dive off... let's just say "off one of the islands", and there's great scalloping and some interesting wrecks too. There are some great dive sites with infrequent use along the coast south of Hull too.

Are you referring to Boston Harbor Matt?

My girl and I spent the night on the boat in Boston on the 4th after entertaining guests and watching the fireworks then cruised around a few of the islands before heading back north the following morning.

I do need to try some Boston area dive sites to see how they compare to those I'm familiar with to the north. Where would you guys suggest? It sounds like the Pinthis is among them.

Thanks

. . . Where would you guys suggest? It sounds like the Pinthis is among them.

Thanks

Well . . . there's the Reliance, Romance, Pug, Kiowa, Herbert, City of Salisbury, Baleen, Alma E.A. Holmes, Mohave, Talisman, Coyote, Snetind, Southland, YMS 14, and numerous barges to name some. A bit further south, towards the Pinthis, is the Delaware, Winsor, and of course the Pinthis. I'm sure that there are other great non-wreck sites . . . but I'm into wrecks!:D

Have Fun,
Dennis

Well . . . there's the Reliance, Romance, Pug, Kiowa, Herbert, City of Salisbury, Baleen, Alma E.A. Holmes, Mohave, Talisman, Coyote, Snetind, Southland, YMS 14, and numerous barges to name some. A bit further south, towards the Pinthis, is the Delaware, Winsor, and of course the Pinthis. I'm sure that there are other great non-wreck sites . . . but I'm into wrecks!:D

Have Fun,
Dennis

I did the YMS 14 yesterday. We had pretty good vis, 15-20 feet. Despite the current, Pat and Jim put us almost on top of it. Lots of cool stuff to see on this wreck if you know what you're looking for. Someone has even been kind enough to run a couple of lines connecting the major attractions.

Back
Top Bottom