Looking for info on the Savannah/Hilton Head area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coasterp

Registered
Reaction score
Going to be in the area in early August. I am recently certified and looking for something good for a beginner. I have googled about the area but am not finding much. Is there much there or should I consider a drive to Florida?

There is some great diving around Savannah but is what I consider advanced.

The Florida springs are about 4 hours away.

Thanks. That kind of confirms what I found before when searching. Thought I might be missing something.

We have great diving here, but it's not really for beginners due to the upredictable conditions.

There are many places to dive offshore in Florida that are much better for newer divers. I also like to work on my skills in the springs of Florida. The one thing about offshore Georgia is that we are so far away from the gulf stream so the water is not clear and the water can get rough out there. Once you get some more dives under your belt, then Georgia is a fun place to do some diving since the reefs are pristine and we have a huge amount of undisturbed sealife!

Good luck with your dives!
Carolyn:sharks:

Where would I need to go in Florida for some shore diving. That is exactly what I am looking for. I have been to Key Largo for my cert. dives but never made it out into the ocean. I ended up at Jules Lagoon due to rough seas. Is there anything just over the border in Florida? It doesn't look like to long of a drive. The springs are something I want to do in the future but a 4 hour drive is keeping me from going there on this trip.

Jules Lagoon is a joke! I had to do a underwater nav. there once, I almost spit out my reg from laughing when I looked in the window of the beercan hotel under the water at the two people that spent about $400/night to sleep in that thing. It had a 10" tv and a military rack. Various other junk dropped in the bottom.

West Palm offers some very nice beginner drift dives. It's all on arti. wrecks junk but worth seeing. We've dove with Coral Island Divers a few times and always had a good time. Small boat and nice folks. That is about the furthest north you'll have decent vis/diving in Florida.

Hey,
If anyone has some suggestions for some advanced dives/operators in the HH/Savannah area, I'd really be interested. I have some business trips there that I'd like to combine with some diving if possible. I typically dive the NC/SC deeper wrecks, so rough water and long rides are the norm.

TIA,
Joel

Sucks. We have a house on Hilton Head Island. My wife and I just got certified and I was hoping for SOME diving when we go down there next, over Labor Day Weekend.

OK, so let's put the question THIS way (maybe this'll help YOU, too, coasterp . . . ). If you were a OW diver with 12 dives logged and you were spending a week on Hilton Head Island, what WOULD you do to get that 13th dive? Drive to FL?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom