Would this make a good trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings PI divers!

We thought we might make it to your country to dive in '08, but not happening! Maybe '09!? We'd like to do a 3 week trip, with two weeks of diving. We would probably fly Cathay Pacific from LAX-HKG-MNL. We've heard good things about Tubbataha liveaboards and Bohol. Would one week each make a good trip? This trip would cut down on a lot of extra shuttles, right? We don't need a night club scene or fancy restaurants ... just good diving and decent food. We like some macro, some big stuff, nice coral. Not so big on wrecks. For what we like, does that sound like a good trip, or something else? And what time of year has good weather and viz? We're anxious to hear what you local experts think!

Last edited:
If you wanna go to Tubbataha it's Feb to May. Tubbataha and Bohol gives you all you look for. The Visayas (Bohol) have some nice places to visit on your non-diving days. sounds like a general good plan to me

Rhoody

All right ... looks promising so far! Can anyone tell me if the air shuttle service from Manila to Palawan is pretty frequent and dependable? OK, already answered that question ... I see there are four airlines servicing Puerto Princesa, but I am baffled when I convert the currency and the fare turns out to be $12 US plus taxes and fees. Seems I did something wrong! And how does one travel between Puerto Princesa and Bohol?

Last edited:
All right ... looks promising so far! Can anyone tell me if the air shuttle service from Manila to Palawan is pretty frequent and dependable? OK, already answered that question ... I see there are four airlines servicing Puerto Princesa, but I am baffled when I convert the currency and the fare turns out to be $12 US plus taxes and fees. Seems I did something wrong! And how does one travel between Puerto Princesa and Bohol?
$12+ taxes? hahahahahaha yeah, you're probably looking at cebu pacific...

no, your eyes are not deceiving you... for all intents and purposes they can fly you almost anywhere in the country dirt-effin'-cheap...

all in all you should be paying around $100 two-way all in... maybe up to $180 depending on skeds

Jag

Move the decimal point!
$120 should be more realistic.
Cebu Pacific Air - It's time everyone flies or Philippine Airlines
Home - Liveaboard Scuba Diving in the Philippines, Palau, Truk Lagoon these leads can help you.
Tubatahaha is a goal for the future for me and my wife. we have been to Alona Beach, Bohol and the diving was great. Three trips to the Philippines, we have not repeated any dive destinations, but we want to return to Bohol next time.:D

Back again, PPD's!

Still pursuing a trip to your country in April '09, trying to find the best combination of dive locations/diving days/cheapest shuttles. Right now looking at a combination of a liveaboard trip with some resort based diving either before or after. We'll fly in/out of Manila. Right now looking at Tubbataha with the Expedition Fleet plus day boat diving in either Bohol/Visayas or Puerto Galera.

Or can we do the Visayas liveaboard route that circumnavigates Cebu, and get our big critter hit there, then go on to PG for some day diving (or other way around)? Any no-fly day we can eliminate helps, but we don't want to sacrifice the best diving. The problem is, you guys have TOO MANY great dive areas to choose from!

How about if I put it like this ... mostly bigger stuff, some macro, lots of nice coral, no wrecks, and about two weeks of diving ... what's your choice?

Back again, PPD's!

Still pursuing a trip to your country in April '09, trying to find the best combination of dive locations/diving days/cheapest shuttles. Right now looking at a combination of a liveaboard trip with some resort based diving either before or after. We'll fly in/out of Manila. Right now looking at Tubbataha with the Expedition Fleet plus day boat diving in either Bohol/Visayas or Puerto Galera.

Or can we do the Visayas liveaboard route that circumnavigates Cebu, and get our big critter hit there, then go on to PG for some day diving (or other way around)? Any no-fly day we can eliminate helps, but we don't want to sacrifice the best diving. The problem is, you guys have TOO MANY great dive areas to choose from!

How about if I put it like this ... mostly bigger stuff, some macro, lots of nice coral, no wrecks, and about two weeks of diving ... what's your choice?

Do as I am doing next year 10 days in Palau and 5 days in the Philippines or reverse that if you want to do a LOB in the Philippines....just a thought!

Do as I am doing next year 10 days in Palau and 5 days in the Philippines or reverse that if you want to do a LOB in the Philippines....just a thought!

That's an intriguing thought, but I think the airfare to Palau is nuts for no good reason, even before fuel prices went crazy. I may never get there, if only for that reason. It's like the airlines to Palau got you by the gonads, and you have no choice. I can get from SW Colorado to Bali cheaper than LAX to Palau. If you can tell me some good news about a hot deal to Palau, meaning something anywhere near within reason, I'd love to hear about it!

The fare from Manila to Koror was $450. Going thru Guam more than 1K.....but it will be worth it....best of both worlds!

Because the flights do not fun daily from Palau to the Philippines with my schedule...I had to go thru Guam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom