Vortex Spring - Pretty, but....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RecInstr

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So,,,,, I took an Open Water Class to Vortex Spring Saturday (6/20/08) morning early. The water was BEAUTIFUL! The facilities are great, and the people are very nice - they had a couple of young ladies "training" to run the rental desk in the dive shop that were exceptional. Nothing but praises for those guys. But....... One reason I like Vortex is that floating dock where we can do a "Giant Stride" entry, as well as use it for placing weight belts during the gear R/R on the surface. Last time I was at Vortex, the fence was down, and the whole grassy area was available for divers to use. Saturday, the fence was back up, the gate shut, and tha area inside the fence vacant. I asked in the shop if I could use the floating dock, and was answered that they did not know. In the interest of Peace I did not use the platform. Anyone know if the problem between the former and current owner is back on now? I love Vortex - Been gong there since the mid-80's, and want to pass this great site on to my students for many years to come. Thanks!

The contest between Doc and the new owners of Vortex is beyond us. I would still use the area inside the fence. If you feel better about it and see Doc riding around on his golf cart just ask. All they can do is tell you no.

So,,,,, I took an Open Water Class to Vortex Spring Saturday (6/20/08) morning early. The water was BEAUTIFUL! The facilities are great, and the people are very nice - they had a couple of young ladies "training" to run the rental desk in the dive shop that were exceptional. Nothing but praises for those guys. But....... One reason I like Vortex is that floating dock where we can do a "Giant Stride" entry, as well as use it for placing weight belts during the gear R/R on the surface. Last time I was at Vortex, the fence was down, and the whole grassy area was available for divers to use. Saturday, the fence was back up, the gate shut, and tha area inside the fence vacant. I asked in the shop if I could use the floating dock, and was answered that they did not know. In the interest of Peace I did not use the platform. Anyone know if the problem between the former and current owner is back on now? I love Vortex - Been gong there since the mid-80's, and want to pass this great site on to my students for many years to come. Thanks!

Doc wrote a couple of months ago that if the gate is open, you may enter and use that side of the spring. If it is closed, please respect their privacy and do not enter. They are trying to balance retirement with being so close to a busy rec area.

EDIT: I can't find the post, so my mind might be playing tricks on me. This is something I remember from the whole "Shane introduction" thread. Doc's name on SB is DocDockery.

This is one of the signs that used to hang on the fence at the beginning of the feud:

vortexsign.jpg

Thanks Guys.....I didn't see any signs though. I guess I would have thought the folks in the shop would have known about the "If the gate is closed..." thing when I asked. Perhaps *if* the floating dock belongs to Shane, maybe move it onto Vortex property? Just a thought....Maybe more easily said than done....I just really want my students to experience the "Giant Stride" entry, since most of them will be diving in Panama City on their next dive. Having said that, Shane & Company still were GREAT! And I am SO happy they keep EANx now! All super-nice folks, willing to help all they can. I'll be back soon! Tommy D.

Back
Top Bottom