Oyster diving in the UK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carlos12

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi guys, im desperate for help lol

Ok recently I have decided to take a bit of a career change from tree surgery. I have heard about oyster diving and heard its great, thing is I cant find any information anywhere so here is my only hope. I think that id need to the my PADI open water qualification as the max depth with that is 18 mtrs I think but oysters only go in water 10f 15f deep (so i've heard correct me if im wrong :). Would I need a licence to do this job, where would be the best place on the british shores baring in mind I live near Cambridge - east anglia? What equipment would I need and where/ how could I hire a boat and a person to manage the boat while I dive?
Any help or advice would be fantastic.

Karl

You sound like you are heading towards a commercial venture. That opens a whole different set of rules. As opposed to a recreational use license. I'd say contact you fish and wild life government people and see what they say.

Also speak to the HSE. I think you'll fall under their rules.

Thanks for the reply. Ive contacted the Environment agency and emailed the HSE, hopefully ill find some answers :)

For some reason you started two threads on this subject, and there are more useful comments on the other one.

Where do you dive for oysters? Aren't most gathered at low tide or harvested from racks or poles planted in tidal flats.
I'm asking because I have grown oysters commercially and they require a lot of plankton for growth...which doesn't usually coincide with good visibility....in fact, usually very poor vis. How do you see them when diving in the tidal areas?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom