Your Personality...

Would you be the person you are today without diving?

• Yes

Votes: 101 46.8%
  • No

Votes: 115 53.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jefri416

Reaction score
Simple Question: Would you be the person you are today if you weren't a diver, or involved in diving??? Your responses are very appreciated. -Jeff

I think diving has been influencing my life in a small but remarkable ways (studies, boyfriends, travels...)

It is a very good question to ask here, I think. :)

I would like to nominate this for the most frivolous poll of all time award. I thought of trying to outdo it by creating a poll asking if it “was in fact the most frivolous of all polls,” but decided even that poll would have greater value.

MikeS once bubbled...
I would like to nominate this for the most frivolous poll of all time award. I thought of trying to outdo it by creating a poll asking if it “was in fact the most frivolous of all polls,” but decided even that poll would have greater value.

I don't know. Some of these things are so inane it's hard to choose.

Hey Jeff - your question could just as easily have read: would you have been a diver today if you weren't the person you are?

We're all influenced by our experiences but I think our choice to take up and then stay with diving must be influenced by the kind of people we are. Probably three-quarters of the people I've seen try a dive then decide that it's not for them. Not everyone makes a diver. We're nothing special, but it's just not for everyone.

I don't think it's a frivolous poll, just a bit vague (with respect). Now if you posted a thread on what makes a great diver as opposed to a good diver, you could have endless sport on this board!

Sorry if this is all getting a bit deep in answer to a yes/no question! I think that for me the answer to your poll is probably no, Jeff, but I don't know if the question is as simple as you make out. You doing research or just whiling away the day?

:eek:ut:

I am who I am because of diving, not a day goes by I don't think about it. I (sometimes) live eat sleep scuba

:D =-) :D

I'd still be a fun loving, laid back, dedicated, occasionally obsessed person. I'd still be with that group of friends that you have to have a thick skin around, because that embarassing thing you did five years ago will never be forgotten. I just hang out with divers that are like that. I'm still that really grumpy guy in the morning.

I'm not all that different because of diving. Diving has opened a lot of things in my life though. I met my girlfriend of 9 months through scuba diving (met her through paintball first actually...got to know her through diving). Most of my friends are divers nowadays, especially since all of the guys/girls I went to college with are all in different cities that me.

Diving has opened up some gorgeous opportunities. Snorkeling and free diving in the sea caves of Lake Superior, diving the bahamas and free diving for lobster, penetrating gorgeous shipwrecks...ahhhhhhhh....what a life.

The biggest thing diving has done to me is turned me into a very obsessed person about diving :eek:ut:

I think I've definately been changed. I used to be very very shy and now I'm much less shy because I loved diving so much but none of my friends were interested. I had to go out and meet people to find buddies. Luckily I've met a lot of great people diving.
my 2 cents...
Lisa

I can guarantee I would not be the same without diving. After being a cop all my adult life, being shot twice and stabbed once I pretty decided everyone including my fellow officers and those hypocrites at my church were nothing more than a pile of manure.

Then I joined a local dive club at the request of several people. Diving then was the only thing that I could enjoy. I would have rather recovered a body under water than spend any amount of time with people.

When I joined the club I quickly found out that Good people do exist on this planet. It has been a life saving experience for me and my family.

Hallmac

No. I would not be the same person if I wasn't a diver because you are the sum of your experiences. Being a compulsive person, I am obsessing over diving as I have done over other things in my life. One thing I have found though, you can't relate your diving experiences or your love of diving to a non-diver. They just don't get it.

:rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom