Vytec vs. Gemini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zuuman

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Since my nemo puked and Mares Italy wouldn't fix it I am looking to get a new computer and was thinking of going with one that can handle various gas mixes and is wireless. Both the Gemini and Vytec (with optional transmitter) would suit my needs but have not used either of them. My recent experience with Mares here in South Africa has put me off buying from them and I have never dealt with Cochran so don't know if they will be just as bad. Any suggestions, comments, critiques of the Gemini and Vytec would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I have dived with several types of computers, but the only one I use for wireless is a Vytec.
I have two one for me & one for the wife.
I have had no problems with setting it up, no reliability issues or failing during a dive. As long as when you are setting up make sure nobody is behind with the same type transmitter as it is possible to pick up their transmitter & not yours. But you have to be really close for this to happen & you will get a failure long before you jump in the water.

The batteries can be easily changed in most dive shops & can be done whilst you wait,. If you are going to change batteries make sure you change them both at the same time. I didn’t the first time & within a few weeks I was replacing the other battery. Taking them both in will ensure that it still picks up the code after the battery is replaced.
yours

Any suggestions, comments, critiques of the Gemini and Vytec would be appreciated.
I have dived a Vytec with transmitter for 5 years. Good unit, with a couple of caveats. On occasion, the computer and transmitter fail to sync. Of course, I seem to notice this after I splash in, and that means I rushed through my setup and pre-dive check. Not a problem and usually the units sync up after I am in the water. Also, I find the transmitter's precision erodes when tank pressures drop below 725. Again, not a problem because I am usually at my safety stop at that point. I have changed batteries in both units (computer and transmitter) myself so they are easily accessible and replaceable. There is a separate thread discussing what is apparently a depth sensor problem with some Vytecs manufactured in a certain recent time period, so you may wish to do a search on 'Vytec' as well.

Back
Top Bottom