Interesting strap for Suunto's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Northeastwrecks

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just a quick note to Suunto wrist mount users.

I own a Mosquito that I use as a backup bottom timer. I wear it with a dry suit when I dive cold.

I've always hated the extra strap that Suunto included in order to make the computer fit. That problem solved itself when the strap went missing.

None of the after market straps I tried worked. However, I found out that Suunto makes a universal strap that allows a user to wear a Suunto wrist computer (whether diving, skiing, climbing, or whatever) on the outside of a jacket.

Ordered it, received it and put it on. It took about 10 minutes to install. It fits on the outside of my dry suit.

Best of all, this is a continuous loop of material with heavy duty stitching and well made fixtures and attachment points. It doesn't seem to have many failure points and I can still tighten it down to stop a wrist seal flood if necessary.

I'm planning to dive this weekend, so we'll see how it works. In the meantime, you can order it from www.suuntowatches.com

Let's see if this works.

Essentially, the bent metal pieces attach via the pins that hold the original straps in place. You can adjust the length using the slide.

I took this picture from the website. Upon further reflection, this picture is a little inaccurate. My strap doesn't have a break. Instead, it's a continuous loop with a slide that allows you to take up slack in the strap.

I'll try to post a digital photo of mine.

That looks interesting. Might be a better option for my Stinger. It's a nice piece, but I still only war it divng,and I had one of the pins pop out here a while back

That is very similar to the Timex Expedition Straps. One continious piece of velcro and designed with an expandable strap that goes through both watch pins.

Not familiar with the Suunto products, but since the straps look so similar it might work.

Should be available at any major retailer. I got mine at Wal-mart.

Cave Diver once bubbled...
That is very similar to the Timex Expedition Straps. One continious piece of velcro and designed with an expandable strap that goes through both watch pins.

Not familiar with the Suunto products, but since the straps look so similar it might work.

Should be available at any major retailer. I got mine at Wal-mart.

I wear one of those cheap, albeit extremely accurate and dependable, expeditions. Those straps wouldn't around the (neoprene) seal on my (neoprene) drysuit.

But if this is a bit longer,should be OK.

BTW, for my stinger, I just snug up the single band (don't use the extra that came with it) and by the time I hit about 25 ft, it's looes. A bit annoying, actually.

I use it in conjunction with a Cobra. Still trying to figure out which I want to use.

raybo once bubbled...
That looks interesting. Might be a better option for my Stinger. It's a nice piece, but I still only war it divng,and I had one of the pins pop out here a while back

It very well might. The problem I had with the after market straps is that there is not enough clearance on the Mosquito for the strap to clear the pin. This kit includes those extra metal pieces that are attached to the computer using the existing pins. This provides more than sufficient space.

FWIW, I believe that one of my friends was able to retrofit his Stinger with an after market Rhino strap.

Also FWIW, I believe that the same place that sells the strap sells pins.

The only thing that I'm concerned about is the deterioration of the stitching in salt water. Time will tell, I guess.

Finally, don't bother looking for dive computers on this site. I am told that Suunto doesn't permit its dive gear to be sold over the Internet. Instead, you need to look for specifications such as "fits all models" (like the strap I bought) or "fits all plastic models", etc....

Be careful with that strap.

I used one for around a month last summer and loved it. It worked well on bare wrist, wetsuit, and drysuit. However, after one dive I found it had started to shred badly and I retired it. Not sure why but it may have been caught on some Velcro and shredded when I pulled it loose.

Now I used a waterborne strap with the pin extensions from the Suunto strap.

STAY AWAY FROM VELCRO.

Ralph

Thanks for the heads up. I'll admit that I haven't used it yet (that happens this weekend:) :) ).

If it doesn't work out, I'm going to get the waterborne strap and do exactly what you did.

Back
Top Bottom