Questions re: new analog gauges:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencermm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
For Father's Day I got a Tusa SCA-330 Platina Gauge set.
Can be seen here: Tusa SCA-330 Platina Gauge, Dive Gauges, Tusa, Tusa SCA-330 Platina Gauge
Questions:
1. Is this a good one?
2. Is there a way to check for accuracy of the depth and pressure functions? I know I could take it to a calibrator somewhere, but I was hoping there might be some little trick you more experienced divers are aware of.
3. If taken care of properly, how long should this thing last me- generally speaking ofcourse.
Thanks for any input,
Spencer

For analog gauges they are just fine. I have had gauge sets last over 10 years easily and as long as you don't abuse them I see no reason yours won't as well.

As far as accuracy check you can hook your gauges and check pressure and compare to a shop that might have a digital check gauge or fill checkers. I think what you are looking for here is that you don't have wild differences between what the gauges read and what another might read. Most shops have more than one fill check gauge and you could do a check on a tank with several and see what the variation is...if any.

Depth gauge you might check against a buddies dive computer (assuming it is accurate) or take it to a known depth...i.e. the bottom of a 10' pool (deeper would be better)...something along those lines.

When I do gas planning I am looking at the nearest 100 psi (so if the turn pressure was mathematically 2150, I would use 2200, as going to the 4th digit on an analog gauge is guesswork). As far as depth, analog is strickly a back-up to my computer, but I have noticed that my analog gauge and computer, along with a 3rd depth gauge that is in my watch read the same.

I have the SPG from that combination connected to a back-up regulator set. It has worked well for several lake dives, and has read the same pressures as my main SPG. At some point in the future, I'll probably move my main SPG to backup duty, and buy a more robust (glass & brass) one to use on my main regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom