Judge Rules Against Gulf State Park Hotel Plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
There are many of us upset over the “improvements” being made at Morrison Spring. Few of us Alabamians realized that the only unspoiled stretch of beach in Alabama was also under peril of attack by the bulldozer and made into an unaffordable eyesore.

The facilities at Gulf State Park were destroyed by hurricane Ivan. Many of us divers have enjoyed diving the piers at the park, even as they lay in ruins.

The last time I drove along the beach road and marveled at that absolutely breathtaking stretch of dunes and sea oats. I wondered then how long it would take for someone to come up with a plan to develop it.

Well they tried. A luxury hotel and convention center operated by a company from out of state. (Boy we need another one of those) But fortunately Commissioner Charley Grimsley filed suit and Judge Gene Reese (a diver) upheld the fact that our public beaches should be enjoyed by even the poorest.

It appears in the article that Governor Bob Riley (a diver) supported the pork. We like you Governor Bob and supported your reelection. But if you are for another high rise on such a wild and wonderful stretch of beach, then all we have to say is shame, shame, shame!

Commissioner Grimsley and Judge Reese - You are our heros!

Tommy

Here is an article in today’s Montgomery Advertiser:
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com

A Montgomery judge on Friday blocked state plans to turn Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores into a convention destination by building an upscale hotel and conference center.

Circuit Judge Gene Reese ruled Friday that the state's plans violate Alabama laws, including one requiring state officials to take into account "the average per capita and average family income of Alabamians" when planning park lodging.

Former state Conservation Commissioner Charley Grimsley, one of several people who sued over the plans, called the judge's ruling a victory for average Alabamians who have enjoyed Gulf State Park.

"Gulf State Park was built so that the working people could have a place to enjoy the beach," Grimsley said. "Long after I'm gone, I want the poorest man in Alabama to be able to take his child or grandchild to Gulf State Park."

Todd Stacey, a spokesman for Gov. Bob Riley, said, "The news is certainly disappointing." He said an appeal is likely.

Gulf State Park covers 6,150 acres, including 2.5 miles of mostly undeveloped white sand beaches, in a coastal area filled with condominiums, hotels and tourist attractions.

The park had a plain concrete lodge with 144 rooms until Hurricane Ivan destroyed it in 2004. The state developed plans to replace it with a 350-room, $100 million luxury hotel, conference center and spa that would be run by a private Georgia company, West Paces Hotel Group, with Auburn University hospitality industry students working at the site.

The state's plan called for Auburn, a public university, to lease the hotel site from the state, and then sublease to the private company for construction, management and operation of the facility.

Friggin awesome, thanks for this update. Nice to NOT see another eyesore.

Thank's for the update. And ditto to what Mat said. No more eyesore's:yelclap:

I knew they were rebuilding it, but I didn't know they were building an ultra-expensive-resort.

I also didn't know about the the law requiring state parks requiring considering of average resident wages when planning new state park lodging.

Interesting article.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom