Dumb thing I forgot today at Jocassee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandmanz32

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
went to the lake today for a fun day of diving to try out some new gear, and get my weight right (steel 130 from an al80, hard sole boots, jet fins, and pinnacle artic wetsuit). gear up get in the water and what did i leave at the house? my rear dump valve on my bc! so what do i do? figure i could somewhat control my buoyancy with breathing, and staying shallow. wrong! big wrong! ended up calling the dive after 2 minutes.....have to try again tomorrow. hopefully with fully assembled gear. so anyone else done anything this dumb? or is it just me?

Dude, don't sweat it, it happens. Last October, we had a megadive/meet and greet at one of the local springs. On day two, a bunch of us got canoes and drove an hour to get to a different spring. Once we got to the boat launch, we jumped in the canoes and paddled a couple of miles up-river to the spring head for some underwater time. As I was gearing up, I realized that I had left my damn Reg in the truck! I decided that I would be bubble-watcher on this trip, instead of trying to go fetch it.

I drove away from a dive site leaving my tanks sitting there several times. Once I didn't realise it till the next day!

Dude, don't sweat it, it happens. Last October, we had a megadive/meet and greet at one of the local springs. On day two, a bunch of us got canoes and drove an hour to get to a different spring. Once we got to the boat launch, we jumped in the canoes and paddled a couple of miles up-river to the spring head for some underwater time. As I was gearing up, I realized that I had left my damn Reg in the truck! I decided that I would be bubble-watcher on this trip, instead of trying to go fetch it.

yea jocassee is about an hour from my house as well. i will be going back today though lol. at least im not the only 1!

Oh, I've done plenty of dumb things - like backing over my dive gear, then putting the car in forward and going BACK over it again. If "stupid" kept us from diving, I doubt any of us would ever dive again. I got all new gear towards the end of dive season last year and only got to dive once. Last weekend, Leah and I met at a pool at a friend's house to get ready for dive season. I'm putting my BC on the tank, pushing the button to inflate it before I throw it in the pool, and nothing was happening. I was very bewildered. Leah finally asked what I was doing, and I said I can't get any air in my BC. She said, "Deb, you have to hook up the hose first." :rofl3:

Oh, I've done plenty of dumb things - like backing over my dive gear, then putting the car in forward and going BACK over it again. If "stupid" kept us from diving, I doubt any of us would ever dive again. I got all new gear towards the end of dive season last year and only got to dive once. Last weekend, Leah and I met at a pool at a friend's house to get ready for dive season. I'm putting my BC on the tank, pushing the button to inflate it before I throw it in the pool, and nothing was happening. I was very bewildered. Leah finally asked what I was doing, and I said I can't get any air in my BC. She said, "Deb, you have to hook up the hose first." :rofl3:

Lol! That is just wrong! Ask Perrone about me not putting on my inflation hose at Ginnie. I will never forget buddy checks again! I very much enjoyed playing in the muck with you gals and helping u set up your new wings! I definitely need to get to Jocassee with y'all! I have been trying to get my dive club to do a trip up there! I do hope y'all get more rain and lots of it soon!

Carolyn:sharks:

Lol! That is just wrong! Ask Perrone about me not putting on my inflation hose at Ginnie. I will never forget buddy checks again! I very much enjoyed playing in the muck with you gals and helping u set up your new wings! I definitely need to get to Jocassee with y'all! I have been trying to get my dive club to do a trip up there! I do hope y'all get more rain and lots of it soon!

you should def come out to jocassee, the water's great this time of year! vis kinda sucks right now though cuz the lake is so low, but below 60' its 20' or so. we all love seeing new faces there.

I very much enjoyed playing in the muck with you gals:sharks:

Yeah, our infamous dive off my daughter's dock on Lake Murray. It was like diving in carmel soup. We had to touch each other in order to stay together because the viz was so bad. Carolyn asked if we saw all those Christmas trees. Leah and I said, "What Christmas trees?" We were 6 feet apart and didn't see what Carolyn saw. It was nasty.

you should def come out to jocassee, the water's great this time of year! vis kinda sucks right now though cuz the lake is so low, but below 60' its 20' or so. we all love seeing new faces there.

Thanks so much for the invite! You know how it is when some dive sites are a bit of a drive. That is when you start getting really selective on how good the diving is for the price of gas. Hopefully things will get better but I ain't holding my breath. Regardless, Jocassee is definitely on the to dive list!

Happy diving!

Back
Top Bottom