Ok you know you've got it bad when.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pentiumchic

Reaction score
The hubby and I bought an old beater SUV just so our dive gear would stay out of the car.Mostly the tanks are to heavy for the poor little car.You just got to laugh I swore I'd never own a 4 wheel drive.Now own one just cause I love to dive.LOL! :auto:

Jen

You're simply observing a phenomenon known to all sportspersons as the Vehicle Evolution Theory. The theory holds that for any given sporting activity, natural selection processes will result in mutations in your present vehicle into a vehicle specifically designed for the sport. In some cases, sportspersons have discovered, to their astonishment, that they suddenly own an entirely new, diverse species of vehicle.

It is an entirely natural process, and there is no need to fear it. Also, as VET is a force of nature, resistance is futile.

I'm sorry to hear about the SUV

I found out, the hard way, that my car could take two fully loaded divers, with 2 tanks each, without much concern, but it couldn't take 3. It just about tripled my fuel consumtion and I had no power. :D =-) :D

wusses....we dive three people in a cold quarry with 2 tanks each out of a honda accord, and we've done it out of a neon too.

creative packing skills are a must, as well as a contortionist to sit in the back seat.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
wusses....we dive three people in a cold quarry with 2 tanks each out of a honda accord, and we've done it out of a neon too.

creative packing skills are a must, as well as a contortionist to sit in the back seat.

I'm with you on the creative packing skills. I once got 3 AL80's into a single gear locker at Eden Rock, Grand Cayman. We didnt return from our dive before the shop closed and didnt feel like lugging empty tanks around with us (mainly cuz we already had 6 in the jeep for our night dive).

The guy working the next day couldnt believe it when I handed him the key and said all the tanks were in the locker... :D

My wife and I are divers, and my wife shows horses. So we needed a vehicle to pull the horse trailer. Needles to say a big vehicle. So we purchased a used (but in great condition) F350 diesel, Crew cab, long bed, dually, with a cap. This is a large vehicle which can pull the horse trailer. In addition, the truck had a cap. So here is an awesome vehicle to take 6 people, plus all equipment, to the local quarry. No mess, you can lock the cap, and if anything in the bed gets wet..who cares. So one big vehicle for two hobbies. The only bad thing, with diesel at $2 per gallon it gets a little expesive for long trips. But oh well, you don't buy a big vehicle for the gas (or diesel) mileage.

When I was preparing to purchase a new car last summer, the original idea was to get a Volvo. Then I started diving and realized that the original idea was not going to work. So I got an SUV instead.

However, recently I have been fantasizing about buying an old, beat up pickup specifically for shore diving only. :wink: The reality is that the insurance and registration in no way justifies such a fantasy. Oh well. :)

LOL! You know the type old beater I'm talking about.It's a great island hoopdee.Good for hauling his military crap for when he goes and play Cowboys and Taliban.And better than ever for tanks.Fitting 6 tanks in my car was killing the shocks.But they did fit.Good thing the kids have small legs.

Jen

It Gets Worse!

When you have multiple Must-Do sports to accomplish.

Its October. Your'e going "UpNorth" for the weekend.
(A mystical place that southern MI residents know well.)

How much gear can you pack for diving, fishing, small game hunting, bow deer hunting, camping...AAAAAHHHHHH!

Hello, Allied Van Lines....do you rent?

Before getting into diving I drove/owned firebirds, camaros and 1 mustang over the years.

Now I have the beat up old blazer (bought with 120K miles on it) in my profile...

I never thought I'd own anything but a sports car. Go figure. The fun part is that the SUV gets better milage than some of my old firebirds got (V8 400s :wacko: ) but they went lots faster... Ah, to be young and dumb enough to NEED to go that fast again 'just because' :D.

BTW: I ended up in a rental neon one weekend and I was AMAZED at what you can fit into the back of one of them with the rear seat down... It just has no power when you pile so much stuff in though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom