Resource Pro battery issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mitchsea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I put in a new battery, got 8 dives out of it and it was dead. Put in another battery, I have 6 dives on it and the low battery indicator is blinking. Has anyone had a similar experience or know why this is happening?
Any thoughts from the Sherwood rep. would be appreciated. Thanks.

I haven't heard about this. I just sent our technician an email to find anything out. I will let everyone know what I hear back from him.

Genesis Scuba Rep.

Here is the response from our technician.

This usually occurs when a generic battery is used. A brand name (Sony, Energizer, or Duracell) with a CR2450 rating needs to be utilized. Generic batteries do not have the power to sustain the requirements of dive computers.

What kind of batteriest were you using when you had these problems? And how old were they?

Don't know the brand of battery but I did buy it new at my LDS. Brought the old one in to make sure I purchased the correct replacement. When this one dies I will get a "brand name" as suggested and let you know if it makes a difference.
Thanks

Don't know the brand of battery but I did buy it new at my LDS. Brought the old one in to make sure I purchased the correct replacement. When this one dies I will get a "brand name" as suggested and let you know if it makes a difference.
Thanks

chances are that a lot of batteries sold at dive shops aren't "rotated" very often. That battery could have been on the shelf there for a couple years.

go to Walmart and look in the jewelry/watch section for their batteries there.... You can buy a CR2450 there and it most likely has been rotated in stock in the past months and will be a lot fresher.

I've used Duracell and Enegizer in my Sherwood/Genesis dive computers and never had a problem.

chances are that a lot of batteries sold at dive shops aren't "rotated" very often. That battery could have been on the shelf there for a couple years.

go to Walmart and look in the jewelry/watch section for their batteries there.... You can buy a CR2450 there and it most likely has been rotated in stock in the past months and will be a lot fresher.

I've used Duracell and Enegizer in my Sherwood/Genesis dive computers and never had a problem.

Thanks for the advice :D

BTW.... if that doesn't fix your problem... the Resource is a pretty old computer and not worth much now days... or worth fixing...

there are several manufacturers though that are offering "trade in your old computer" for a new one. So chances are, even if it's broke, it's still worth something on a trade in. FYI.

Just to follow up:

Put in an Energizer battery, computer worked fine for 4 days of diving. Went to turn it on Thursday as I was gearing up and it was dead again. Fortunately, I've been carrying around an old Oceanic computer just in case, so the dive went on and the Resource Pro issue continues...

Just to follow up:

Put in an Energizer battery, computer worked fine for 4 days of diving. Went to turn it on Thursday as I was gearing up and it was dead again. Fortunately, I've been carrying around an old Oceanic computer just in case, so the dive went on and the Resource Pro issue continues...

I spoke to our technician and here was his thoughts. These computers are water activated. If you are leaving the computer in a wet dive bag or in moisture it may not be turning off when it should. If you are keeping it in a dry environment and you don't think that is the problem. Send it into your LDS for us to examine.

Thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom