Knoxville / East Tennessee -- July 4 at Philly Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmayer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The folks at Philly Quarry are having a potluck dinner on Friday, July 4 at 3:00PM.

Lotsa diving, lotsa food, and rumor is that somebody will be putting on a fireworks show after dark.

I'm heading over to Middle Tennessee to meet up with the family, otherwise I'd be in. Taking summer classes, the three day weekend is my 'summer break'

I am in bristol and off the 4th I may just join in.

Everybody's welcome!

The quarry now has tank rentals and fills on-site.

There will be a bunch of divers there. We've already got about 20 students lined up for checkout dives, plus everybody for the potluck, then the fireworks!

They've built six new picnic tables out there, but bring a comfy chair as well.

Rentals and Fills on site? How and when did that happen. I was there, last spring I guess, and it didnt look like there would ever be a way to add those there. I thought it was a pity at the time, as the quarry seemed really nice. Now I really want to get out there again. Is the entrance fee still the same?

I was there this past Saturday and enjoyed using the new dock. I looks like they also have a new platform just about ready to sink. Phil - where is the platform going?

Water temp down to about 20' was a balmy 77 degrees. It then dropped to the upper 60's and to 63 degrees down to 40 feet. Since I wasn't wearing my hood - I stopped there!!

I'm packing my gear for to fly out on Saturday morning, so I can't make it to the potluck.

Ken

If you're standing on the new dock, the new platform is going in to the left. It's going to be in ~35 ft of water on 12 ft legs. For those who haven't seen the new platform (in progress), it is MASSIVE! It's 16 ft x 16 ft!

Entrance fee is still $10 per day for divers and $3 per day for others.

Fireworks for Friday is confirmed! They're going to launch from the back of the parking area out across the the quarry.

The air fills and rental gear went in about a month ago. If you remember the area where you stop to pay your entrance fee, they've enclosed a section of that barn. By the end of the year, there should be ~100 tanks there. Fills take about 10 minutes. There are also BCs, wetsuits, etc there.

You guys missed a great time!

PM1_2301.jpg

Cool,
I wish I had made it. but the damm rain I was planing to ride.

We never got any rain. At one point there was lightning close and I had to go get a tired student and tow him back across the quarry, but the weather passed us by.

Back
Top Bottom