Suunto D4 or Mares Nemo Excel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soamelt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, new to both the forums and dive wold. I just started my open water classes, was going to get all my own gear to start, but after reading the forums here have decided that I will rent for a little while before I buy. However, aside from my personal gear such as mask and fins, I plan on purchasing a dive computer. I'm looking at either the Suunto D4 or Mares Nemo Excel and was looking for some advice from anyone who has had experience with either of these. Thanks.

Greg

Well I have a Suunto Stinger and my Fiance has a Mares Nemo Sport and to be totally honest, for the casual dive, they both have more than enough functionality to last you many years.

I'd personally say that if possible, get down to your LDS and see if you can have a demo on each, and then play with them both a bit.

I actually prefer my Stinger to the Nemo, mainly because I prefer the menu navigation, but thats my own personal preference.

The LDS owner who we bought the nemo from prefers the Nemo to the Stinger, and he owns both...

Which ever you buy though, they're both good computers and you won't go wrong

I would chose stinger not D4 over nemo as well, for the menu interface.
i heard that new suunto DC like D4 & D9 & cobra2 have some issues on the depth sensor which is serious (some units though not all, and usually replaced in such cases)

Thanks for all the replies, it seems like it's win win. I've read some good reviews on the Stinger, but it's a little more pricey than the other two. My LDS does have the D4, so I'll see if they'll let me demo it and go from there.

Cool.

I only used the stinger as an example as its what I'm used to but the rest of the Suuto family is pretty similar

Not here to influence anyones choice. I thought I would let you know the Nemo Excel user interface is completely different, easier and intuitive compared to the Nemo Sport.

Best regards,

I happened upon this forum, as I too am having a difficult decision deciding between the Suunto D4 and Mares Nemo Excel. I reviewed both user manuals on their manufacturers web sites and both seem to have their advantages and disadvantages. This would be my first dive computer and price seems to be about the same on both, so that is not a factor for me. None of the dive shops in my area carries both so playing with one is not an option for me.

Can anyone help me make up my mind.

I had the same problem too with choosing a wristwatch computer (see post "suunto D4 worth buying?")

I eventualy decided a D6 and a D4 (for the wife). I will pick them up from the shop tomorrow. as such i dont have any experience to make a comment. however, i did try to research a lot and some points why i chose suunto are,
- a lot of people use suunto, so chances are your diving buddies will more likely to have the same algorithm.
- its a well established brand in diving computers.
-also a lot of shops supply suunto products. for me this is important. I just moved from japan where i lived for 5 years. a lot of outdoor shops have suunto products (non diving) so if need service you can take it to a shop and they will deal with it (send it to manufacturer etc). especially in Japan where customer service is one of the best in the world, i dont have to find a dive shop which can be difficult in big cities.
- I quite like the way d4 looks (more than D6, but i wanted two tank gas switch option so opted for the D6 for myself). I also checked it at my LDS and it seems pretty solid, no flimsy feeling to it..
-from what i read on the net with gear tests etc, it seems mares is even more conservative than suunto (not necessarily a bad thing.) however, most of my equipment regulator, fins, mask, etc are from Mares so i do like their products.
-a crucial point, me and my wife use mac computers and the only dive software available to mac are for now suunto. and thats because some guy decided to help all us poor mac divers and wrote a neat software called MacDive (thanks where ever you are!!) Its a really nice program to download your dives and keep a log. and its for free!! (unlike suunto pc connection cable which is around 100 bucks extra. ). There's a program called Jtrack for uwatec computers but the application is not that nice compared to Macdive.

my limited advice would be to go through the manuals on their internet site and compare the two products. if there is a function that one has that the other doesnt and its important to you, then the choice is easy. if they are very similar (which I think they are) then other factors that one has to consider are very subjective ( style, size, weight, availability, buddies computers etc.). Although its nice to get ideas from others which is very reassuring. thats what i did as well :)

good luck in deciding which one to buy!!

I have Nemo Excel and its great. User interface is easier than on the Stinger. I was so convinced, i even got my girlfriend one for her birthday. She loves it too. Only thing is I cant transfer data with IRIS interface. Doesnt seem to be working. Does anyone know if IRIS is compatible with Nemo Excel? It says its compatible with Nemo, Nemo sport and other computers.

Thanks

DIVE DEEP
DIVE HARD
DIVE OFTEN

Back
Top Bottom