Leatherback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
saw a huge leatherback turtle yesterday about 1.5 miles south of perdido pass. when i say huge, i mean that when i first saw him, i thought he was a small whale (no joke).

sadly, i had no dive gear w/me.

still, a beautiful sight.

Be careful around them in the water, they are not gentle giants.

interesting. we saw a big leatherback turtle about 2 weeks ago. It was between 1-2 miles SE of the Perdido Pass,while coming back from diving in Pensacola area. I had a same first thought-whale. It dissapeared under water very quick.

wow, do tell.....
They're big and rather slow moving, but have a hell of a set of chompers. I've heard tell of them snapping at divers and seen one fin with a big hunk taken out of it. We had a leatherback in the tank at Marine World and when a diver cleaned the tank another diver had to be there to keep him biting the first diver.

lthrback.jpg

They definitely can get quite large! What a treat to see one in person!

Carolyn:sharks:

We were staying in Ft. Morgan the other week and my brother and cousin ran to the off shore rigs almost every day. They reported seeing many many leatherbacks. Both around the rigs and in open water.

Maybe they are staging to nest?

We saw one today about 5 miles east south east of Perdido Pass, It had a head about the size of a 5 gallon bucket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom