Vytec DS Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonnie&Clyde

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys Im new to Diving. I am thinking of Picking up the Suunto Vytec DS. The store also carries the Suunto D9 but I am not sure if its worth the extra $800.

Just wondering if I could get your insight/thoughts.

Thanks

Are you sure you want a wireless system? How old are you? How is your eyesight?

I currently have a Cobra and a Vytec DS. I prefer the Cobra because of "coding" the Vytec DS (or, rather, not remembering to do so).

The D9 is just too small for my aging eyes.

Think about it before you plunk down that much cash at your stage of the game.

If you are new to diving the Vytec is over kill. Unless you are after the wireless feature. I use the Vytec as my general computer and as backup when doing technical dives involving multiple gases. I am not a fan of Suunto D6 & D9 for three reasons, as noted above small, the built in compass is not all that useful, and the buttons need to be squeezed requiring two fingers. Personally I think the Cobra (Not the Cobra 2) is a good all round computer. If you want something for your wrist, look at the Vyper (again not the Vyper 2).

If you can not tell I am not a fan of the new 2 series from Suunto with their built compasses, multiple mixes, attenuated algorithm. I think that it is more than what the average diver needs. Call me old school but the Cobra and Vyper are well rounded computers.

Or - take a look at the less expensive Gekko from Suunto. It has the same innards as the Vyper, but has a few less frills, such as computer downloading. A side-by-side comparison of the two on the Suunto website will show the differences. If at some point you feel you've outgrown the Gekko, it still makes a great back-up computer to one with more bells & whistles.

Or - take a look at the less expensive Gekko from Suunto. It has the same innards as the Vyper, but has a few less frills, such as computer downloading. A side-by-side comparison of the two on the Suunto website will show the differences. If at some point you feel you've outgrown the Gekko, it still makes a great back-up computer to one with more bells & whistles.

You can still download from the gekko. The cable is the same as the vyper etc. The only reason you "can't" is that Suunto Dive Manager explicitly disables it.

Any third party software, like mine or the various other windows based programs, will let you download from the Gekko. There is also a hack to change the identifier on the Gekko itself to report that it is a vyper, which will let SDM read dives off it.

t0w: what's your software?

I'm aware of your software - and that was not what I was referring to. According to Suunto, one of the reasons they can sell the Gekko for less than the Vyper is because it is officially not able to be downloaded, like the Vyper. The fact that you have been able to back-door the Gekko is a nice plus for some people who own one. At the same time, it doesn't change the fact that Suunto markets the Gekko as a less expensive alternative - in part because it 'does not have' download capability. I think Gekko is a good option for a beginning diver, especially one who can't afford, or doesn't need, a more complex computer.

I'm aware of your software - and that was not what I was referring to. According to Suunto, one of the reasons they can sell the Gekko for less than the Vyper is because it is officially not able to be downloaded, like the Vyper. The fact that you have been able to back-door the Gekko is a nice plus for some people who own one. At the same time, it doesn't change the fact that Suunto markets the Gekko as a less expensive alternative - in part because it 'does not have' download capability. I think Gekko is a good option for a beginning diver, especially one who can't afford, or doesn't need, a more complex computer.

How it is marketed is irrelevant. You can still download off it.

How the Gekko is marketed has everything to do with its price - which is what the original poster was talking about. The fact that someone has found a way to get a 'bonus' result from it has nothing to do with Suunto's marketing strategy.

Back
Top Bottom