What Do I Have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LBHeyman

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok everybody, I bought this light today for $10. The cannister is in good shape. The light head seams to be really. Does anyone know of a model number or bulb type? Also would there be a upgrade to the light head available to bring it in to the 20th century?

Attachments

• 01020601160701040520080701c657a9386c6eac16e6004423.jpg
    01020601160701040520080701c657a9386c6eac16e6004423.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 81
This explains the test anyway ... good luck on the can light.

Ok everybody, I bought this light today for $10. The cannister is in good shape. The light head seams to be really. Does anyone know of a model number or bulb type? Also would there be a upgrade to the light head available to bring it in to the 20th century?

It's a little hard to say from the picture, but it looks like a DiveRite MLS-1 Cannister light.

It has (2) 12v 7ah batteries, a charger and a nicely machined light head that takes an MR-16 halogen bulb, generally between 35W and 50W.

I have one, but it only has one cannister. I beleive you can unscrew yours to split it up if you want to.

The only thing I'd recommend is buying a good 12v Gel Cell battery charger. The one it came with was probably a marvel of engineering when it was built, but mine just smoked.

If the light head is having problems, I beleive it's a factory-repair, but have no idea about the cost.

Whether or not you dive with it would be determined by your needs. The battery is good for about an hour. 2 batteries, probably a little more than double that. I don't actually use mine anymore, since my Princeton 3 LED/8C-Cell light is almost as bright and lasts for something like 20 hours.

Terry

Would I be able to get the bulb at Home Depot?

The original had a very narrow beam pattern, which is really hard to find) however you can get a perfectly good slighty-wider replacement at HD.

It's just an MR-16 12v Halogen Spot (the flood is too diffuse).

They come 50W, which lasts about an hour and 35W, which lasts almost 2 hours.

The batteries are the same as are used in a lot of computer UPSs and riding kids toys.

Terry

That is an MLS-2 canister. It takes (2) 12V 7 Ahr batteries. The head appears to be an actuator model; does it have a split where the two pieces of the head turn, one on the other? Turning the two together would close the contact and turn the light on. It looks like the head has a test tube lens instead of a flat; that would take a H1 style two-pin bulb, probably 50W. Just pull the test tube off gently and pull the bulb. DO NOT use silicone to help put the test tube back on; it will heat up and shoot the lens off of there. A little spit on the inside of the lens will ease it on there.

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom