Question for Suunto users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterFox

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Question for Suunto computer users. Do you dive with the "personal adjustment" mode set?

I'm just asking because I've heard that suunto's are conservative computers. That's why I bought a Suunto, I wanted a conservative computer. Do you have to dive with them using the "personal adjustment" mode (P1 or P2) for them to be conservative or does using that mode just make them even more conservative than they already are?

I never set mine. However, IIRC A1 does the same as P1. I have set mine to A1 many times. (A1 - altitude setting). And yes it does make them more conservative.

Hi waterfox,

I think you should use these settings what they were made for. For instance, I dive in cold water and thus have set mine to P1. But when I was in the Caribbean for a couple of months I cleared that setting.

Anyway, you should never dive to the limits of a computer, just like you should never dive to the limits of the tables.

I have never done any high elevation diving, or extreme cold water diving - and have never used the A or P adjustments on my Stingers. I assume I would use the altitude compensation if I tried a high altitude dive. I think I'd just get out of the water sooner if I ever tried a cold water dive.

WaterFox,

The answer to your question is: Suunto dive computers are, by default, among the most conservative dive computers on the market. With the Personal Adjustment Mode P1 and P2 you can choose to make them progressively more conservative.

From the Suunto Vyper manual:

The Personal Adjustment Mode "should be used to adjust the computer to be more conservative... In ideal conditions, retain the default setting, P0. If conditions are more difficult or other mentioned factors which tend to increase the possibility of DCS exist, select P1 or even the most conservative P2. As a result the dive computer adjusts its mathematical model according to the entered Personal Adjustment Mode, giving shorter no-decompression times."

I have used the A2 setting diving in Denver, and have occasionally used the P1 setting if I was feeling uncomfortable with certain conditions (like being a little dehydrated).

Most of the time I leave it on P0 A0.

I've used A1 for some northeast Tennessee dives at altitude, but that's about the extent. I generally make my "safety stop" a good 10-20 minutes (sometimes more), and with deep stops thrown in, too, I don't see much need for trimming my NDLs. :biggrin:

I have had my Cobra for 7 years. I set mine at P0 & A0 when I got it and haven't touched it since

MY vyper is in A0 P0 and has been since day one despite water just above freezing and altitudes >1500ft at times.

Its a personal thing, understand what its telling you and decide if you think your body wants extra conservatism or not. Some people do, some dont.

Back
Top Bottom