Lobster Hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thall0726

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
When you are free diving and go down to a lobster, how long do you have to hold your breath to tickle the lobster into the net?

The time can vary alot depending on your depth, skill level, accessiblity of the lobster, etc. Using teamwork can speed things up considerably once you and your buddy get the system down. When targeting lobtsers we stay pretty shallow (12-25 feet). The majority of ours are caught within 20-40 seconds. We don't use nets, by the way, but that should not make any difference. I usually just use a tickle stick and catch them with my hands and one of my buddies uses a noose.

You don't have to do it all on one breath either. Once we find a lobster we lay the lobster prod (aka tickle stick) down in the sand to mark the spot then surface. We usually point the stick in the direction of the lobster for clarity regarding exactly where the lobster is. On the surface we make a quick plan like "you go to the right of the prod and I will prod him out to you" or something like that. Then we just dive down and execute the plan. With good teamwork & a little practice it really does not require an impressive breathold to catch them freediving in shallow water.

-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom