Lost UWATEC Aladin computer Lesson learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lake Muroc Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
While going through the exit gate on the Spectre out of Ventura today, I went to the left to give better room the previous diver that was hanging out at the entry point. Well, my gage pressure hose for the three gage console got caught on the gate corner and as I decended into the ocean, yanked the lanyard and then the console pretty hard.
When I got back on board, to fix a leak in the pressure hose to regulator area, I discovered that the computer was missing from the console.
I'm guessing that the big stretch on the console opened the receptacle and the computer was tossed out.
The lesson learned here is: apply a small bead of good RTV sealant to the carefully selected side of the computer before popping it into the console receptacle. This might prevent yours from flying out if the console gets smacked.
PS Can you buy an Alladin prime computer without the console?

Yes, you can wear the Prime on your wrist. The computer itself can be removed from the wrist boot and placed in a console. I guess it's a lesson to put all your gear in a bag to transport it.

I was suited up getting in the water on the third dive. Not transporting it. It was a console mounted computer. What I want is a replacement computer to refill the console.
Thanks for the link and the advice.

Shouldn't the lesson learned be "Make sure you are squared away and keep your gear neat and not dangling so it doesn't get hooked on the boat when you enter the water" instead of "Use RTV to hold your computer into a console when it gets hooked on the boat while entering the water"?

It sucks you lost your computer, but the few times I've tried to remove anything from a console, it took a bit of doing. Buy the wrist mounted version, and get rid of the console altogether.

Shouldn't the lesson learned be "Make sure you are squared away and keep your gear neat and not dangling so it doesn't get hooked on the boat when you enter the water" instead of "Use RTV to hold your computer into a console when it gets hooked on the boat while entering the water"?

Agreed. The lost computer is merely a "symptom" of the underlying problem. (A common variant of the "solution in search of a problem" genus.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom