Red Sea accidents/incidents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hillmorton Scubie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The Red Sea diving industry is huge, particularly in South Sinai. Is this the safest place in the world to dive, or is information on accidents/incidents suppressed as being bad for business. Is data even collated? :confused:

I am not sure I understand your question. What does it matter if data is collected or not?
The Red Sea is just a sea. Accidents do happen in it just as in other seas accidents may happen.

I don't believe there are "dangerous dive sites". There are dangerous divers, though.
If you dive safely, then the Red Sea is as safe for you as any other sea.

I actually felt that the 3 centers I've dived with in the red sea are more "strict" than in Thailand for example.... so if what you are asking for is that somehow the centers in the red sea are more or less "into" safe diving... \My experience would be they are "more"...

allthough I have never dived with anyone I felt didnt take the neccesary precautions, make sure they bring an 02 tank when you are diving in Dahab and driving a distance from the center... and: become a member of DAN...

Thanks for your answers however I wasn't asking if it is safer diving in South Sinai than elsewhere. I was trying to find out where on the net I can get details of accidents and incidents specific to this area. (In the U.S. DAN reports on around 100 US fatalities a year).
How many occur in South Sinai ?

The questions you ask are if it's the safest place in the world to dive or if information is suppressed?
The answer to both questions: no.
Egypt and Sinai has a very well developed diving infrastructure with many skilled dive guides. There are off course a few bad apples and luck seekers that are willing to compromize safety, but there are also plenty of good, serious operators. The diving conditions vary in the Sinai area, but the regular recreational diving is generally fairly easy. The water is comparatively warm and clear.
Very deep waters in some locations, currents and often choppy sea conditions can however make the diving demanding. I don't have the numbers to back it up, but my feeling is that most accidents are people doing very stupid diving. The Blue Hole in Dahab is a place that have tempted a few young men to push it past their limit.

Regarding withholding information... I don't think so. There are stories every year in the press about accidents in the Red Sea (as well as in other places). Have you tried DAN Europe? PADI Egypt? I'm sure some Egyptian authorty also have the statistics, but I'm afraid I don't know exactly where to point you. You need someone who are familiar with the system in Egypt to help you.

/christian

Back
Top Bottom