Neither Console or Wrist Mounted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weight_for_me

Contributor
Reaction score
The latest NFPA standard for SCBA's (for firefighting) demands a "Heads up Display" in the mask. I predict it's only a matter of time before that technology finds its way to diving.
Randy....

Yes...any new ones that are purchased.....existing SCBA's do not require retrofitting. If you go to "Google", do a search on NFPA Heads up Display. You will find lots of links there.
Randy...

trymixdiver once bubbled...
Are you saying that all FF scbas are required to have a HUD ?

This doesnt sound correct, could you post a little more about it please.

Andy

The standards are just referring to the new production of SCBAs. We have had a few discussions about this at my dept. and it seems to be a waste if you ask me. Comms are a seperate issue. The only thing that needs to be monitored is tank pressure. SCBAs have used standard pressure gauges for a long time now. Some will argue that it will reduce task loading inside a fire. I haven't had any issues checking my tank pressure inside a fire. The gauge is on a 24 inch hose so it can only be within 24 inches of you! I wonder what the cost increase is in doing this vs. the old style, including purchase price and maintainance. I also wonder how this cost increase would be practical for many rural volunteer depts.

I totally agree with you Score...it is going to make the costs skyrocket. But the new standard (I understand) makes the masks more "communications friendly". I guess my overall point was that with HUD in the mainstream, it won't be long before we see the application migrated to SCUBA gear.
Randy...

I'm fairly certain that you can already get this type of technology in a Kirby-Morgan Superlite 27. It is my understanding that you quadruple the cost.

I'm not suggesting that a Superlite is necessary for recreational diving. Still, it would be cool.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
I'm fairly certain that you can already get this type of technology in a Kirby-Morgan Superlite 27. It is my understanding that you quadruple the cost.

I'm not suggesting that a Superlite is necessary for recreational diving. Still, it would be cool.

I'll be going to school to use those Superlites on a regular basis. I'd like to take it out on a charter just to see their faces when I pull it out of the bag. :D

I agree.

I have every intention of aquiring one in the next couple of days. Its all part of my quest to dive without actually getting wet (check out the pictures of today's dive in the New England forum and you'll see why).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom