Pensacola Area Algae

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I dove the Destin Jetties last Wednesday the 2nd of July and had great visibility, but Friday I dove Navarre beach and was very disturbed to find a massive algae infestation. I have heard from some other local divers and the LDS in the Pensacola area that this bloom may be from the washout of the Mississippi and all the flooding they had. If that is the case then it seems to be heading east from Mississippi at a very fast rate and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed the problem. Apparently deeper dives are not affected as it seems to be staying between the surface and 40 feet. I havenot confirmed this myself but I've heard this from some other divers and wonder if anyone else has any feedback on this.:(

THe algae at Navarre Beach was so bad that I only had about 4 foot of visibility to about 70 yards of shore at which point as the water got deeper my visability increased to about 10 feet. The bait fish were everwhere and were packed in tighter than normal to me. At one point I had cigar minnows going under my arms, the dive would have been incredible if I could have seen what lurked beyond my 10 feet of window. Since this is just showing up now after a few weeks from the flooding in the upper mid-west, does it stand to reason that we may have this algae until we get a significant offshore wind/current or until the algae works it's way east? That could be a month. Man would that suck!

Over the last week, I've dove Navarre, and a spot about 10 miles off-shore from Perdido Pass. Both dives had terrible viz. The offshore dive had crappy viz from 5-70 feet. I've been told that viz is better the further East you go, but hopefully it will clear out quickly.

I hope it clears up by next month. I'll be staying in Navarre 8/9 to 8/16 and hoping to do lots of shore diving from Pcola to PCB. Anyone interested in meeting up, PM me.

Reefhound PM me when the time of your arrival gets a little closer, so we can hook up for some dives.

Sure thing. I see you live in Navarre, that'll be easy. We're staying in Summerwind overlooking the pier.

dang.. shore diving is blowing this summer. thanks for the heads up xray man

The PCB jetty's had pretty good viz this past weekend. I would say about 20-25ft viz on both dives. It was about the same two weeks ago.

mrxray were you the one with the olymous camera at navarre pier sat. i was with the mbt class and would like to dive navarre again as soon as we can see the bottom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom