Will I be happy with this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MartinNorway78

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Philli-experts!

I am planning my first visit to the Phillipines, and its really not easy to find where to start! Its just so many Islands, names... I get confused. So I figure what h**l just pick one and check it out:

About me: 30 yr old male single traveller, favourite place so far: Dahab & Koh Tao. I like busy scube places, but they must have some sharm to them.. be laid back. And hopefully offer some diving for "medium" epxerienced divers. (Only have 120 dives/DM) I am from Norway. So I thought about this place:
"island of Mindoro near Puerto Galera"

Seems like they have a broad range of divesites and that there are some divecenters there. But, is it, like, really busy/"resorty" atmosphere with drunk soccer-shirts-Benidorm-crew, or is it more laid back place with "cool" people...? I gues what I am asking is...

Will I be happy staying there for a couple of weeks diving???
Anyone benn there? Was considering "Scandinavian Divers...."

BR
Martin:crafty:

Try Little LaLaguna Beach. It's `1km from the "dock" in Sabang beach, and not as much of a 'party' area. lots of shops, GREAT Diving! The most varied diving from one spot; rec.; tech.;wreck; drift; deep; nature; shark cave. Try the Verde Is passage, 600 + species of Nudibranchs.
You're in for a great time!:D:D:D

Thx Dragon... cheap gear aswell? Like in Thailand?? Need a new computer... who did you dive with?? :)

not really sure if you want to be WITH the drunken soccer blokes or not...

if you do - stay in the sabang area

if you want to be near but not sleeping with them - small lalaguna, it's quieter and a short walk to the happy stuff

if you want to be far far away - big lalaguna or cocobeach... far enough away that you won't hear them... but can still have a party if you go the distance

best recommendation for gear would be getting it in manila - walk into a shop or pre-order it in an online shop like Scuba Stop Dive Shop :::ONLINE::: then pick it up when you arrive or have it shipped to your hotel or in PG (depending on your schedule)

dive ops: lots of great operations in PG, all depending where you base yourself

sabang: atlantis (hotel and op), deep sea divers (op)
small lalaguna: el galleon/ asia divers (hotel and op), action divers (op), out of the blue villas (villas... really really nice villas)
big lalaguna: lalaguna beach club (hotel and op)

those are off the top of my head... but the diving in PG is great all around... you have more than enough experience to have a great time

Jag

Thank you Shugar, I begin to get the picture now about the different beaches... and for the record: I dont want to hang out with the drunk English-Soccer-T-Shirts_Shame-there-arnt-diving-in-Benidorm-Crew.... and I definataley want to sleep with them :wink:
Actually I hope they dont excist overthere at all... Scubadiving kind of saved me from that kind of holidaymaking and I'm hoping it will continiue to do that :D

Thax for good advices

Like your site!

Thank you Shugar, I begin to get the picture now about the different beaches... and for the record: I dont want to hang out with the drunk English-Soccer-T-Shirts_Shame-there-arnt-diving-in-Benidorm-Crew.... and I definataley want to sleep with them :wink:
Actually I hope they dont excist overthere at all... Scubadiving kind of saved me from that kind of holidaymaking and I'm hoping it will continiue to do that :D

Thax for good advices

Like your site!
hahahaha generally none...

there is rugby nights though in a couple of bars... but obviously only during the rugby season...

and world cup nights would be crowded too... but if you avoid those two it's easy to avoid the drunken british soccer fans...

they'll probably be rigging their scuba gear beside you anyway hahahaha

Jag

I am from Norway... Was considering "Scandinavian Divers...."
Martin:crafty:

LBC is virtually next to Scandinavian...in 4 years I never heard anything bad about Scandinavian...but nothing particularly special either...being you are Scandinavian it might be worth a go...but then you guys/girls all speak great English so it probably doesn't make any difference.

I am sure you will enjoy any of the above mentioned ops.

Cheers,

Matt.

I booked with scandinavian since they were best at answering my emails and I like the idea of an op served by "fellow" scandies :wink:
How far is the walk from big lag to the bars and stuff? Will I have to stumble for half an hour along the shore?? I'm kind of used to that anyway, but just curios... :)

Back
Top Bottom