Gloucester Lane's Cove Folly Cove Op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Non-Diver

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I came across this board doing a web seach for something unrelated. I am a Lanesville "red neck, neanderthal, inbred" whatever. (ouch!). Regardless of all that BS, I can emphasize with all of you in pursuit of your passion and your ire over being subject to harassment, vandalism etc., that is intolerable and criminal behavior (REPORT IT!). I also understand the locals feeling that their livelihoods are being threatened. (C'mon, empty traps with open hatches every weekend that produce mid week, somethings up). Court notes with diver's being fined for bad behavior doesn't help.
The UMass marine station is closing, UMass is currently contemplating is fate. Coming from an ancestoral maritime family, I would like to see another facility which furthers marine reseach / preservation (Especially with LNG looming large offshore). Better than condos!!! Seems to me diver's might know those who would be interested (with $$$ to back it, diving doesn't look cheap) in a like project with a hybrid recreational SCUBA slant (could this be profitable?). This is a 7 acre facility with good parking and easy access to what I understand is a stunning underwater landscape.
I am not sure how doable this would be, or what it would entail, but thought it would be a good idea to put out there to further a peaceful co-existence.

What does the Umass Marine station have to do with continued harassment at lane's cove? The local's should report it. When you catch a diver stealing from a trap...report it. Thats what I would do. Slashing tires, pulling valve stems, and keying up cars is NOT the proper response.

Professor's death closes UMass marine station

The UMass marine station is closing, UMass is currently contemplating is fate. Coming from an ancestoral maritime family, I would like to see another facility which furthers marine reseach / preservation (Especially with LNG looming large offshore). Better than condos!!! Seems to me diver's might know those who would be interested (with $$$ to back it, diving doesn't look cheap) in a like project with a hybrid recreational SCUBA slant (could this be profitable?).

Can you explain a little more what you have in mind? If you are thinking about buying -- or teaming up with someone and jointly buying, -- the facility, and opening a recreational marina, then I do not see how it could possibly be profitable. According to the article I linked, the property is assessed at $2 million, and dive shops make surprisingly little money.

Now, if you are thinking about another marine research facility taking over the property, and being friendly to both local residents and divers... I am not sure. As far as I know, Woods Hole (the prime marine research institution in NE) does not mind people diving near their facilities, but does not exactly invite them either. REEF Environmental Education Foundation actively recruits recreational divers to help with their research (counting marine life and such), but they are a shoestring non-profit, and to the best of my knowledge do not buy permanent facilities. So if you are thinking of a marine research station that has some kind of symbiotic relationship with recreational divers (say, we set and retrieve bottom experiments in exchange for free air fills and parking), all I can say is: it is a wonderful idea and I personally would LOVE to do that -- but I do not know whom to ask.

What does the Umass Marine station have to do with continued harassment at lane's cove? The local's should report it. When you catch a diver stealing from a trap...report it. Thats what I would do. Slashing tires, pulling valve stems, and keying up cars is NOT the proper response.

Cut the guy some slack. He didn't at any point say that kind of behavior was the proper response. Actually he called it "intolerable criminal behavior". All he was suggesting was that not everyone who lives in Lanes cove does that kind of thing anymore than all divers run around cleaning out lobster traps. Sadly people often get carried away and overgeneralize when truth is it is just a few rotten eggs causing most of the trouble. Finally, it is up to the person who is the victim of the crime to report it, not the locals in the neighborhood so don't blast him for not reporting it.

He was coming here trying to do something nice. Way to show the wonderful hospitality of the diver community......:shakehead:

The UMass marine station is closing, UMass is currently contemplating is fate. Coming from an ancestoral maritime family, I would like to see another facility which furthers marine reseach / preservation (Especially with LNG looming large offshore).

Speaking as someone who works in marine research it would be tricky to pull anything like this off. Research budgets are fairly tight (probably has something to do with why UMass is closing up shop) so it is going to be difficult to find someone who has the resources to make that kind of thing happen. And diving businesses are also notoriously difficult to make money with, particularly in a seasonal place like New England.

Personally, off the top of my head, I think your best bet would be to try to get it turned into a park of some sort. Perhaps state or town or through some private land conservation organization.

Speaking as someone who works in marine research it would be tricky to pull anything like this off. Research budgets are fairly tight (probably has something to do with why UMass is closing up shop) so it is going to be difficult to find someone who has the resources to make that kind of thing happen. And diving businesses are also notoriously difficult to make money with, particularly in a seasonal place like New England.

Personally, off the top of my head, I think your best bet would be to try to get it turned into a park of some sort. Perhaps state or town or through some private land conservation organization.

I took a drive down there one day. I think it is kinda narrow. Look for it on goodle maps. It would make a nice park.
Probably would be a better run by the state. Gloucester already charges $25 for beach parking.

Back
Top Bottom