Uwatec Aladin Pro & Suunto Vyper variation in depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red Sea Shadow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have an old Uwatec Aladin Pro (1994) and a fairly new Suunto Vyper (2005). It happens that I was using the two computers in one dive and there was around 1.5m variation in depth between their readings. For example, the Uwatec reads 20m and the Suunto reads 21.5m. Almost all the others had Suuntos (Vyper and Spider) and all read the same as my Suunto.

Any idea?

the uwatecs are calibrated for fresh water, the suuntos not.
i.e. diving in salt water, the uwatec will show a deeper depth (=conservative). taking the suunto into fresh water, it will not show you a shallower depth than you actually are; so you should adjust your dive planning if need be.

reason is that uwatec were developed in switzerland where diving is done primarily in lakes.

that is strange. seems one of them is not calibrated correctly.

i don't think so, but have to admit that i don't know. never heard anything in that regard, though.
can you borrow a third one and compare on a dive? that should give you an idea as to which one is the faulty one (keeping in mind the uwatec calibration for fresh water). then i would contact the respective manufacturer.

Accuracy gets worse with time, this is normal. In principle you correct offset and span, at least Uwatec allows for this correction. You need a service tool to do it.

Niclas
(worked for in the business many years ago)

Accuracy gets worse with time, this is normal. In principle you correct offset and span, at least Uwatec allows for this correction. You need a service tool to do it.

Niclas
(worked for in the business many years ago)

How do you do so? It's the gray old model. The only thing that could be disassembled is the battery.

BTW, the battery was just changed. Could that be the reason behind accuracy problems?

You need a service tool(software) to do it. Ask an Uwatec service to have a look on it.

Niclas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom