Trip Report Subic Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

red_barbarian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
If you're after reef diving go somewhere else. Subic is really about wreck diving. I spent 12 days diving in Subic staying and diving through Johans. Johan has a large knowledge base of dives that other operators don't seem to know about, and dives on the wrecks safely. The USS New York and 2 Japanese WWII Maru's are pretty much off limits most of the time for port security reasons. I didn't get a chance to any of these as the port had visiting US ships in every day I was there. According to the DM's at Johan's this is the norm now. There were plenty of other wrecks to do though, the F4 Phantom, a Japense patrol boat, a couple of cargo ships a US concrete hull boat etc. Some of the dives are quite deep, my last dive on a WWII Maru was at 55 meters. Most of the dives are below 30 meteres so bottom times can be a bit short if you don't do deco dives. Johan does provide deco diving to those with a cert. All in all a nice intro to diving in the Philippines for me.

Single tank, no-deco, air dives at 55 meters (just so I understand)? The wording is throwing me off.....

You should check out Coron if you like wrecks.

Nice to know I'm not the only one to miss the USS New York for "security reasons".

Subic seems to have some good wreck diving, although I only had a chance to do a couple dives there. My expense account started running low while I was there, what a shame...

Glad to hear you enjoyed your PI intro and thanks for the info on subic.

Just got to go with the flow, grin and bear it,never can tell nowadays. The US Navy and MSC make regular port of call visits and anytime there vessels are berthed at Alava pier unfortunately diving the wrecks of inner harbor are off limits. You can thank the terrorists for this, if it hadn't been for 911 and the bombing of USS Cole, there would still be access. Ah yes, the only place in SE Asia were you can dive USS New York (ACR-2), USS Saratoga, & Rochester (CA-2) all on one dive. The only vintage battle cruiser in SE Asia w/in recreational depth limits...... Better luck next time mate

...A little beyond the PADI rec limits :)

how come no one's told him "he's going to die!!!"

pttth!

:D

it's great you had a good time :boings:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom