A.B. Biller 36 Special Snubnose Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pontiac214

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys I tried to search for this stuff but could not find anything.
I recently bought an A.B. Biller 36 special speargun (i know alot of people told me its to small but I tell them it just means ill have to be better than the fish! Any ways it was $50 and im only gonna be spearing in the gulf) I got the gun from Craiglist. The only thing is it looks like it has not been shot in about a year or so bands cracked, swivels pitted. I did a lot of work washing it up and using brasso to clean all the metal parts. but now I need to change the parts that are worn .My question is what kind of bands do i need for this gun, and how do i put them on? No one seems to have this info? also any recomendations at all im open to about the gun ways to make it better what else to change etc..... thanks for the help.

Hello...

I called ABBiller a while ago and they said if you can load the bands, the trigger can hold the tension. At the shop I work at, we sell the 36" with 16"x9/16" bands... If you want you could use longer, thicker bands and get the same band power... Some might debate the thickness of the bands, I even think the thicker, longer bands have more power...personal preference

..... and how do i put them on? ....

Pictured is a typical Biller muzzle and I hope your's is the same for this info.

When you purchase a new band you'll want to take the old ones off first. Pull one side of the rubber band so the metal wishbone is in the muzzle. Look at the notch that is cut into the plastic. You can see in the picture below how I've stuck the metal wishbone into the cut notch. Use your fingers to open the notch and pull both of the old bands out of the opening.

When replacing with new bands use your fingers to open the notch and insert the wishbone metal part. Then reverse the process and rotate the rubber until the center of the rubber band is centered in the muzzle.

One other thing you'll want to check is the shaft. Place the shaft on a table top and angle it so both the tip and the notch ends are hanging over the corner of a table and the shaft can roll smoothly flat. Look for bends. Also feel the tip and take a file or sharpening stone to it and make it sharp enough scratch your finger tip when you drag it over it.

Post a response if you got them replaced!

Attachments

• IMG_1201.jpg
    IMG_1201.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,894
Hey thanks for all the info it was very helpfull. I now have a speargun that is up to date. Now all I need to do is find a place to shoot it!(this is the first time I have owned a speargun)

you are going to love it. its a little tricky at first cause you have to remember that the fish looks bigger underwater than on the surface. if its a big fish remember its big because its smart and didnt get caught or eaten by another fish. aim right behind the gill plate on a big fish. if you try and take a head shot, that suckers gonna swim away. and just remember if you catch all the real big ones there will be no more of em out there. the big ones are survivors and survivors are reproducers. Happy Spearing!!!!

I realize a little time has gone by since this thread was active, but I just bought one of these guns myself. Do you like it? Have you had any luck with is so far? I'll take mine up to Lake O in Arkansas in a few weeks to give it a go - just curious if you're happy with your purchase.

Mudbug,

Lakes and other less clear locations, with generally smaller fish, are better suited to a 36" Biller gun.

For the Gulf offshore of Tampa Bay a 48" to 54" is more appropriate. Pontiac was warned, but bought it cheap enough that he could buy the stock and spears for a 48" or 54" and still be good on value. Otherwise he will not have the range or kick to shoot most of the prefered fish around here.

Another thing to make sure of when replacing Biller brand bands is that the bevel in the wishbone is not upside down. It should match the angle of the spear slot.

A tip: If you leave the spear in the gun and flex it up just a bit the muzzle will spread easily making band replacement much easier.

I'd bump it to 5/8" bands of the same size. All brands of rubber bands are not alike, just because they are the same size and diameter. Many other brands use rubber with much more punch. Take the gun into a store and try stretching the bands. (You do not need to notch it to feel the strength.)

Chad

PS... In the Biller line the snubnose is a 24" gun. It's pretty worthless IMO.

Thanks, Chad. This purchase was directly for use in lakes & low vis against catfish/bass/brim - things that are "local*" to me. I'll mostly likely go up to 48"+ for a saltwater riding rig to fish on the oil platforms in the gulf.

I've fished with friends' spearguns of relative length & power where I'm planning on going, so I feel relatively confident given the game & conditions this 36" should be plenty. However, they've all been either aluminum body or pneumatic - I have yet to shoot a "woody," so I'm in untested waters in that regard.

*I do know spearfishing in freshwater is illegal in Louisiana - I go to Arkansas where I maintain my fishing license, respect the spear limit, and I eat what I shoot. And them's some fine eating.

...I'll mostly likely go up to 48"+ for a saltwater riding rig to fish on the oil platforms in the gulf........

Looks like you are understanding why spearo's own so many different styles and setups for guns. One single gun just can't cover each type of diving condition. I'd never take my freeshaft gun to a rig and it would take too much work to convert it.

I'm up to 3 guns now and considering a 4th for blue water hunting. Have fun hunting Mudbug and post up some pict's of what you catch!!

Hey Mudbug
The 36' woody gun is perfect for the wreck dives I have done with it so far. (40-80ft)I have had no problems shooting a "big" Fish with it. I have been able to take a couple of AJ's about 20lbs.I believe this gun has more than enough power to take out a big fish with its only limit being distance (can be fixed by putting longer line on shaft).
To me this gun is awesome but like the other speros have said for open water I would deff go bigger . But with the manoverability in the wrecks with this gun being so short with good power I love it to death so far!

Back
Top Bottom