SPG only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suddha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was chatting with a divemaster who uses only a single SPG on a hose and then his Suunto for depth, temp, time and all the other features of a modern dive computer. Very streamlined, but also relying a lot on a battery for crucial information.

But it got me thinking I could streamline my kit if I followed suit and only had a single hose gauge (SPG) and then got a wrist-mounted compass to ride next to my Gekko. For a backup timer/depth gauge, I could use a Citizen Aqualand or similar on my other wrist ("two is one, one is none"). I currently never use my console-mounted depth gauge and that and the compass only add to the bulk of the console. A single SPG on hose seems like a way to go.

Anyone else dive this way?

I imagine lots of people do. I have a computer on each wrist (and a compass on one), with just an SPG at the end of my HP hose.

I have a wrist Gekko also. And a set of mini-Scubapro gauges for pressure and a redundant depth gauge. They're very compact, my retractor is larger. Mine say Scubapro but I think this is the same set: UWATEC U-LINE 2 GAUGE CONSOLE - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

Some of the Casio Pathfinder u/w rated watches also have an electronic compass function. Although I've heard they're not easy to use unless held really flat.

i do that. i have a wrist computer, and a small Tusa SPG that i tuck in my cummerbund. love it. i also have a dive watch for a backup timer on my other wrist. i have an airsource2, so no octo hose. i like it.

I was chatting with a divemaster who uses only a single SPG on a hose and then his Suunto for depth, temp, time and all the other features of a modern dive computer. Very streamlined, but also relying a lot on a battery for crucial information.

("two is one, one is none")
Cute phrase, but an intelligent diver looks at the context. I don't bring along spare dive fins. I don't bring along a spare wetsuit. I don't bring along spare gloves.

For my diving environment the loss of any of those items may end a dive, but are not life threatening.

For many people, the same can be said about whatever one is using for depth, temp, time, and indeed even for air pressure.

The best thing is to analyze your situation and figure out to which items "two is one, one is none" truly applies.

I think there are a lot of people diving with an SPG, a compass, and a wrist computer/bottom timer. (I know a bunch of them :) )

On a recreational dive, if my depth gauge dies, that probably ends the dive. If it's a dive where I can't immediately ascent conveniently, I'm going to monitor my depth two ways on exit: One, by watching my gas consumption, and two, by discussing the situation with my buddy and having him call our deco.

I don't think there's a big problem with wearing a watch/depth gauge in addition to a computer, but I think it's probably more than is needed for simple recreational diving.

On a recreational dive, if my depth gauge dies, that probably ends the dive. If it's a dive where I can't immediately ascent conveniently, I'm going to monitor my depth two ways on exit: One, by watching my gas consumption, and two, by discussing the situation with my buddy and having him call our deco.
OTOH, I suspect that if your computer/depth gauge/bottom timer failed (or even if you just forgot it :D) you would have no hesistation diving a shallow divesite that you know well -- such as Ulua in Maui, or Edmonds in PNW.

Not all dives are created equal.

I dive both ways, to some extent it depends on the dive. I dove the other day with neither a depth gauge, compass or timer ...no reason to call the dive or be concerned I was in a quarry I know well and there is a thermocline at about 35 ft I am not going to cross. I usually put on a computer just to log the dive but this dive I forgot it and saw no reason to abort the dive. No chance of getting close to any NDL, remaining gas was my only real concern. If I am diving deep I dive 2 computers, one console mounted and the other wrist mounted, compass is console mounted. I prefer it there. The streamlining thing gets blow way out of proportion. Sure it makes a difference but small things like consoles and quick releases add so little drag there is no real reason to worry about it. If you really want to reduce drag, slow down.
IMO, even computer failure on rec level dives that do not push the NDLs is not really a reason to abort a dive, assuming you have a pressure gauge. If your really diving with your buddy, he has been by your side the entire dive and any small differences in your depths are not worth worrying about. There is no valid reason not to use the data off his. Diving with a SOB is a different matter. (SOB- same ocean buddy)

Brass and Glass on the left hip. I've never owned a reg set with a console. Most people I dive with are the same, and most people I know with a console have a computer mounted in it with just one battery, just like the one battery on a wrist mount computer.

Oceanic VT3 on my wrist and a Mares mini brass spg as a back-up.

:14:

Back
Top Bottom