Hollis fin review.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Many of you have gotten hints and sometimes more from me regarding the Hollis F1 fins. Tonite I got the OK from Nick to do a complete review of my experience with them.

I've been diving the Hollis fin since February. Yep, since then and I've been diving the heck out of it. First time in the water was in the pool at the Y where we do our pool training. First thing I noticed was how easy they were on the legs. I thought I was diving splits. I had a set of V-12's for awhile thru a local shop for evaluation and therefore had what I believe to be a valid basis to compare them.

The new fins are one of the finest products that Hollis/Oceanic/Aeris has come out with. I dive Oceanic regs, an Oceanic computer, and when in the pool with students a Probe BC. I've dove other Oceanic products as well and have a very high opinion and subsequently very high expectations for any product put out by the company regardless of what name is on it. These fins met and exceeded all of my expectations.

The first thing you notice when you hold them is that they are a big powerful looking piece of gear. They are heavy as well. The blade is as wide as my super rockets but about 4 inches longer. Similar to my blades. The other thing you see is that the vents are set close to the surface of the foot pocket and really flow into the blade itself. At first I thought- they should be bigger. But in the water the design becomes so apparent that it is clear that they are the size they need to be. I had a friend try them out while I observed him. As the foot naturally points on the downstroke of the kick the water seems to just rush thru them and is channeled right down the back with little to no resistance. Consequence- the fin is fast.

It is also maneuverable. I have worked very hard to develop the kick styles I use to be efficient and effective. The Hollis F1 works with all of them. I rarely use a scissors kick anymore in favor of a frog, modified frog, and back kick. Helicopter turns are also easy to perform.

The ones I've been diving are slightly negative in freshwater(great aid to floaty feet syndrome) and neutral in salt. Properly adjusted, they feel like a natural extension of the leg, which is what a fin should be.

Speaking of proper adjustment this thing rocks! Before you would have to measure from post to post around your heel and order or buy the spring based on that. That works fine as long as your foot does not change. But what about when you go from wet to dry suit. Or 5/7 mil boots to tropicals. Many times you ended up with either too long or too short springs. Not so with this fin. There are adjustments to the size. The ends of the springs are enclosed in virtually snag proof housings with two adjustment holes on each side. These holes actually result in a fin that is three sizes in one.

Now I have wide foot and this is a big plus for me. If there was only one set of holes or attachment points the XL fin pocket would be too long on me even though the foot fits perfect width wise. Thanks to the adjustment points I was able to move it forward on both sides and get a perfect fit with my wet boots(5 mil) and back on one side from that to achieve the same results with my drysuit that has integrated boots. Up until now all the fins I've tried had some issue with being too big, too tight, or too narrow. These are, as Goldilocks said " Just right!" I believe this fit is also a big factor in the comfort of them on my legs.

The first real workout for them in open water was in February in Bonaire. They saw me thru 15 dives and a fair amount of snorkeling. A weeks worth of diving with no soreness in my legs.

Since then they've seen over 50 dives from warm water to cold quarries. Numerous hours in the pool. Everything from a 3 mil to drysuit. Skin diving to doubles and drysuit. The results are always the same. Excellent speed when called for. No fatigue or soreness. The right amount of power when needed yet very easy to finesse to achieve those little adjustments we sometimes need to make without appearing to. Back kicking is easier in these than my rockets due to being able to use a softer stroke. This translates for me into much more control over where I'm going. I have noticed as well that they seem to do very well with a nice easy relaxing kick that generates more power than you would guess. Yet using a proper kick the thrust is directed where you want it. With a frog and modified frog I can easily skim 8-12 inches off of a silty bottom and the water behind me is as clear as it is in front. The thrust is directed straight back. Now alot of this is due to technique as well but having a performance fin like this makes it so much easier.

It also looks very cool. The design is very sleek looking and the lines flow into each other like a work of art. It looks like what it is. A well thought out, well designed, and very well made piece of gear. Recreational divers would be well advised to look at this fin long and hard as well as those of us in the tech community. Springs are not just for techies. Most open heel recreational fins have straps that are too stiff or too hard to get set just right. Not so with these. And those looking for a fin that feels like a split yet performs like a paddle your search has ended. No more getting lines caught in the split, no more not being able to handle a little current, and now you can do a passable back kick. The last thing is the finger loop on the strap. Even though it's molded it does not stick up. When on it lays right against the back of the boot and poses no entanglement threat. Yet even with heavy drygloves it is easy to get a grip on. Another attention to detail that is typical of this company. Make it right or don't do it at all and it shows.

I like these fins and unless I decide to get another set just because, they are probably the last fin I'll ever need. And in the event that a spring should need replaced for whatever reason you can bet Hollis will make it an easy to get part. And the screws that secure the straps are easy to remove for adjustment, yet because of how they are set in the rubber of the fin they are very secure and stay tight. Nearly 6 months on mine and lots of use and still as tight as when I made the last adjustment. I'd like to thank Hollis (esp. Nick for getting these to me) and it's parent company- Oceanic for allowing me to evaluate these. It's been a privilege and I hope to be of service in any new product development. Any questions on anything I may not have covered just PM or ask here.

Oh another nice thing is the price. I understand that for this great fin, with spring straps the MSRP is around 120 bucks. Maybe one of the other Hollis dealers can be a little more specific on this point. Either way it's a helluva good deal.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed report Jim. Have you tried any of the newer Scubapro Jet fin knock offs, like the ones OMS makes? How do these compare to the F1s? They look a bit like Jet Fins, but I hope they aren't as heavy... -Andy

Back
Top Bottom