Vinyard Seal Dive anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
‘Jaws’-size fear sweeps Vineyard
Shark sightings prompt vigilance
By O’Ryan Johnson | Friday, July 11, 2008 | Home - BostonHerald.com | Local Coverage
Photo
Photo by File

A Martha’s Vineyard harbor master raised the alarming prospect of “Jaws returning” after a large shark was spotted cutting through the waves just 70 yards off South Beach yesterday.

An eagle-eyed lifeguard spotted the menacing fin off the Edgartown strand and ordered everyone out of the water yesterday morning, moments before a sightseeing plane overhead spotted the monster gliding just below the surface.

“This is a large shark,” said Edgartown Harbor Master Charles Blair. “We don’t know the species. It was a pretty big fin spotted about 70 yards from the beach. It’s close enough for me. We got like Jaws returning over here.”

Blair spent hours yesterday in a fruitless hunt for the toothsome sea beast. But it managed to elude any further sightings, including an all-out aerial hunt waged by the state, which paid a pilot to search waters off the beach for two hours after the initial sightings.

Blair said there were a total of three possible shark sightings yesterday, but no one could determine the species of shark spotted and whether it was the much-feared great white of “Jaws” movie fame.

The first sighting came in about 9:30 a.m. from the lifeguard tower on South Beach and was confirmed minutes later when a sightseeing biplane overhead radioed the location and description of the shark.

Then, Blair said, a sighting was called in anonymously about noon from Joseph Sylvia Beach.

“I got a feeling we gotta be vigilant,” Blair said. “The same goes for our sister island, Nantucket. If you see them, you just try to see what direction they’re swimming.”

Blair said none of the beaches were closed, but shark warnings have been posted at both South Beach and Sylvia Beach.

Department of Conservation and Recreation spokeswoman Wendy Fox said the state cannot shut down the beaches, since it is public land that stretches for miles .

“We can’t tell people they can’t swim there,” she said. “But we can recommend against it.”

Blair said yesterday’s shark sighting comes weeks after island fishermen reported seeing a rare great white breach - when the antediluvian horror burst through the water’s surface.

The uptick in shark sightings not surprisingly coincides with a seal population explosion, Blair said. The cute, playful animals are actually harbingers of doom for casual swimmers, drawing predatory sharks from thousands of miles in search of their favorite meal.

“Vigilance is the word,” Blair said about any threat the menace of movie fame may pose to humans.
Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1106354

Word on the street - at least from what I'm hearing from folks down there - is that a couple of commercial fishermen have already seen this (or a) shark twice during the month of June within the vicinity of the current location in question.

Whether or not this lifeguard's just being a douche remains to be seen, but as far as I know it's seems very credible that there's at least one big white shark checking out off-season real estate between Monomoy and the Vineyard. I'm so psyched.

Can't blame it, though, can you? It really is a buyer's market.

Just so we're clear--A homeless guy yelled "shark!" and some other people "saw" a shark?

I was out working yesterday with research/commercial divers 1 to 3 miles off the south beach on Martha's Vineyard. No shark problems out there (though we heard a pleasure boater call a sighting in at Wasque Shoal, which was fairly close by).

OK, Everybody take a deep breath and slow down. Let's look at the facts for a second. There are plenty of sharks from many species out there and they have been all along. With the seal populations making a big comeback, this also brings sharks. This is mother nature doing what it does best. The monster shark fishing tournement is held on the Vineyard every year. These sharks are caught in the waters around the Vineyard. Face it, there's sharks in them there waters! With that said, there hasn't been a human shark attack in New England waters in over 70 years. We killed 100 million sharks last year alone. There are some species of sharks that have been around with the dinosoars and will be extinct in our lifetime due to shark finning for soup. While they send a shivver down most folks spine, they are the apex preditor in the ocean who are doing what they're supposed to do.

OK, There are plenty of sharks from many species out there and they have been all along.
I wouldn't say "plenty" the way they have recklessly killed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom