Help with watches/ computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all

so im going to head off for a week and a half of diving in the keys in a little while, and i really need an good diving watch.

So i was looking at several different watches and i realized i dont know what i want in a watch. Most of the watches i have been looking at are simple, just a waterproof watch with no fancy extras.

But at scubatoys i was a momentum watch that had some extra depth functions. So, im wondering if it is worth it to pay for extra functions, and what watch i should be looking for.

I dont get to dive that often, because where i life the water is always less then desirable. During my open water 2 years back (in early summer) all the days i had to wear a 3 mil wetsuit. I will be working for my advanced cert. in the next few years, but still i am not going to be diving that much.

some watches ive had my eye on:

Luminox Night View Series

Momentum Neros

Traser P 5604

I am unsure of a current price limit, i guess it depends on what is most worth if for me. I am leaning to the Luminox, but i think i can spring for the momentum if it is really worth it. The traser i put up because i was looking at it, but its just out of my price range, for sure.

Thanks for any help.

I like the Momentum Neros Duplex .. it has the advantage of being a depth gage backup for your dive computer, useful on a dive boat or trip .. and it looks sexy too

I have a $120 JEEP citizen duplex knock off for the same reasons and if it ever goes south, the Neros will be what I'll be getting to replace it
I'm also a fan of these straps ... http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Waterborne_Safety_Straps
they capture the watch around both pins .. saved my watch from going to bottom when a rough water exit had the boat ladder bash it and lost a pin

I wish I could get by with a 3mm suit in local waters here instead of a 5 at minimum and preferably a 7 if not dry.

I'd go with the entry level from St Moritz Momentum M1. Just a basic dive watch that looks good. You send it in every 2 years to be service and the first 2 times you do this they will extend the warranty. These can be found for $100 give or take, search on line. I bought a St Moritz and have been very happy with it. It has only been to 82 feet so far. Oh and I got it from Scubatoys as well.

The Luminox is a good watch though. A lot of people like Casio G Shocks for diving as well.

A watch that doubles as a depth gauge would probably be worth it if you dove by yourself. You shouldn't need the back up if you dive with others since your dive buddy will have gauges or a computer.

your buddies having a gage will help you end your dive, but what about the next ones?
.. that is why I got a watch with depth indication so I don't have to rely on someone having a spare gage or computer

well, the more i look, i realize i dont want to spend much on a watch that can get damaged or lost, or in another tragic way ruined.

So momentum watches got my attention, the M1 and M1 Pro. They are both dive watches, but the pro has the 15 minute countdown and diving flag on the face. other then that, is there any real difference?

M1

M1 Pro

also, which band is better, the velcro, or the Hyper Rubber?

I like the luminox. I have friends that beat on them and have had no issue, and the dial is very visible underwater especially if you get the yellow, or red faces, and in the dark there in no other watch that is brighter. Luminox makes a really reliable and rugged watch.

I hear where you are coming form about more expensive watches. I have many dive watch but I dive with a seiko orange monster with the compass feature. It is relatively inexpensive, I really do not fell like damaging or losing a more expensive watch when scubaing.

I prefer the rubber bands, they dry faster on the surface. The nylon band with velcro tends to take a bit more time to dry out. And the band tends to trap dirt.

if possible look for a cheap Timex Helix. it was discontinued a while ago but still available now and then from ebay. I love it as a cheap dive watch with a depth gauge. cost abt USD50

Luminox watches are the bomb. I use mine for diving and flying. I've deployed all over the world with it in all types of conditions. It's a rugged watch with a face that wont scratch no matter how abusive you are. Never leave home without it!

Hope that helps...

jberry, is your watch the fancy sapphire crystal, or the mineral glass?

and i will look for the helix nowish. ill see what i think about it.

LumiNox is definitely the way to go. I have a red face Navy Seal (2007 model). Incredibly rugged, great design, time marking bezel is a nice feature for a quick look at where you are at in terms of your dive time profile and you can actually see the thing in almost any light condition at a glance without having to push a button for a back light. Highly recommended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom