harbor cleanup/ unbelievable!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seakdivers

Reaction score
We were having our weekly "dive club" meeting last night (well ok, it's actually beer Friday at the LDS), and the former owner of the shop said that he had approached the City, and volunteered his time & some other divers' time to clean up all the garbage under the local harbors.
They told him no, because that would just generate more garbage for the City to have to dispose of!

Can you believe that?

We were thinking of who to appeal to next - any ideas?

How many truckloads of trash did they expect?:confused:

That's stupid. You'd think that since people volunteerd to clean up the water...it may attract new tourists therefor making the city more prosperous.

I don't understand either.

I think most of our elected officials are of the "out of sight/ out of mind" mindset. As long as they don't have to see the garbage, it doesn't exist.

I wonder what they would do if we just hauled all the crap up and put it in one of the harbor parking lots?
We would probably get fined!

One possible suggestion would be for the LDS to order the Project Aware material. It contains some extremely informative, although somewhat preachy, material on the damage caused by contamination of the water.

Does the state department of environmental affairs (or the Alaska equivalent) deal with your harbors? The reason I ask is because, in Massachusetts, it is my understanding that MassPort, a state agency, deals with Boston Harbor. If so, they may be interested in your proposal.

Do you have curbside trash pickup. If you, you could always put out one week.:wink::wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom