Uwatec Smart Z vs. Galileo.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evilclown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone out there own a Galileo? Is it worth the price tag? What are the main differences (other than the compass feature) between a smart Z, or smart tec and the galieo? Is the smart Z still being made or is it on its way to being discontinued? If so i wonder if there are some good deals to be found. Thanks!!!

I saw a Galileo today at a shop, it's huge and looks awesome!!!

All I can say is if I was buying a unit today it would be the Galileo. FWIW I have a Smart Z now. The compass feature I could care less about as a Suunto SK7 is unbeatable. I wish I had the ability to read my gals air too.

I have got a Galileo Sol. The SMART Tec is closer in performance, having three gas mixs, etc, rather than the one mix of the SMART Z. All the SMARTs are being phased out in favour of the Galileo range.

I highly rate the Galileo Sol, but you can get many of the features on the entry-level Galileo Terra. If you want air integration but don't want to go the whole hog, then you could wait till the end of the year/beginning of next for the Galileo Luna, which will slot between the Terra and the Sol.

Mark

Another cool thing is the Galileo is completely upgradeable. They even hinted at one day it being able to do tri-mix, but we'll see.

The only 2 things I do not like about it is, after you turn the unit on, if you do not have any tank pressure change within 40 seconds the tank transmitter turns itself off to save battery power. I would like to see that changed to maybe a minute or 2 to give the diver time to get into the water. And the fact that you have to turn the audible alarms completely off or completely on. If they could make it where it was silent going from Menu to Menu and have any alarms or alerts left on, I would like that better.

Love the software, the altimeter, the micro bubble info, the heart monitor, the fact the info can be transmitted to DAN for their PDE study. This is an awesome computer. (now maybe if it had a color screen, like an LCD that would be too cool).

Last edited:
I have both a Smart Tec and Galileo. Aside from what has been mentioned above, the Galileo battery is user replaceable: I purchased a Galileo because the battery in my Z was dying before an overseas trip.

Also, there is a map/text/picture function the I find useful. You cannot up-load detailed charts, but the general outline is helpful.

Next, it has a larger screen, which is an advantage for visually impared people like me.

Lastly, there are external buttons on the Sol. On the Smart series you have to wet your thumb and forefinger to make contact out of water.

I really like both units, but the Sol is superior in a number of areas. The Uwatec software and IR interface are very reliable and much better than other units I have owned.

Good Luck,

Dan

Does anybody regret buying the Galileo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom