Can anyone ID this bright yellow thing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

under water

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know this belongs in the fish ID place, but since it is local, this group may have a handle on it.
On a wonderful seal dive on Isle of Shoals yesterday, I was playing around with my new camera and I saw this 'sponge-like' thing. I think is was about 6 inches wide.
Does anyone know what it really is?
Thanks
PS. Pic is at bottom of this web page along with a video of the seals.
Isle of Shoals Diving
Nice dive!

Attachments

• sponge.JPG
    sponge.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
It looks like Crumb of Bread sponge to me.
Here is one of Bob Michaelson's photos:
m42

Thanks Skua. After looking up those, I am pretty convinced it is probably either that or a yellow encrusting sponge.

That's pretty cool, I have never seen a sponge overgrowing the blade of a piece of algae quite to that degree that before

As for the ID. I don't know my sponges very well and don't really have any good guides for them so I can't be a big help. However, crumb of bread looks possible and the other that comes to mind would be the sulfur sponge aka boring sponge (Cliona spp.) but I don't really know them well enough to be able to tell the difference (those just happen to be the two bright yellow sponges I know of :D).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom