Them bubbles sound so good!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First is go and find an instructor/shop that you can learn from.
The PADI requirements for entry are A Rescue Diver /Medic first Aid certification and 20 logged dives. The course can last up to 6 months depends on how fast you can demostrate your new found knowledge.

Did you get my email responce?? It got bounded back to me when I sent it to your address so I sent it to you via this board. As for DM...dive,dive,dive, just kidding. It's a step I have thought about but I am not sure I want to take the time...I dive because I enjoy it and not too sure that being a "PRO" would not take some of the fun out of it. You might want to do a word search on "dive master" on the board and see what has been said in previous posts. I still look at it every now and then. I may do it some day just to add to my skills. In any case you will have to do AOW and Rescue first (a very good course that I highly recommend). At this time, getting some UW time under your weight belt is the most important thing. Based on previous posts, the general feeling is that between OW and AOW most people recommend 20 dives and maybe that many more between AOW and Rescue. I agree with these recommendations, opinions do vary, however.

Depends on what your intentions are and how fast you want to complete it. If you need it as soon as possible, then places like Pro Dive in Florida can get you there and beyond pretty quick. If you are in no particular hurry, then you can do it through a local shop as kind of a working progress, it can take a while this way depending on the shop.

Check page 234 of your PADI Go Dive book. It has a flow chart of the PADI continuing education system. Also PADI has requirements for a certain number dives to start and finish the Divemaster course. I think you have to have 30 logged and verified dives to start the training and 60 dives to recieve the certificate. Make sure you check with your dive shop. Also you may have to do a swimming test-- but that I'm really not sure of so be sure to ask. Along the way you will have to take CPR/First aid classes either through PADI(medic/first aid) or the Red Cross etc.

Originally posted by herman
...As for DM...dive,dive,dive, just kidding.
I wouldn't kid about it. You do need experience diving. Sure PADI states you need 20 to start, and 60 by the time you end, but you also need the experience. (without the grandstanding please)
You might want to do a word search on "dive master" on the board and see what has been said in previous posts.
Excellent advise! I've just recently qualified, and I'm constantly scanning this board, and other web locations about diving to gain more knowledge.

At this time, getting some UW time under your weight belt is the most important thing.
Bang on. Gain some UW skills. Take specialty courses to gain more skills.

Above all have fun while you're doing it. Your love of the sport will add to a student's experience.

Yeah... what DivingGal said... :p

I'm at that stage now where I'm trying to decide whether to go for DM or not. MSD sounds great because you will eventually learn a great deal without having to work on dives, but then again it is always good to have the option to make a bit of cash as a DM if needs be.... Whatever I decide, it's still a long way off as I want to do many, many more dives before I will feel comfortable going from AOW to the next level.

Just enjoy it - that's the most important part!
:)

Once you finish AOW, going directly into Rescue is the best plan. Advanced cert opens up diving in more situations where rescue skills are essential. I think alot of OW divers still think they are still "beginners" so they don't push limits or depths or take chances. Once people get the AOW, they have experienced deep diving and night diving, and are expected to be able to take care of themselves. So...best way to take care of yourself (and your buddy) is to experience how to handle an emergency.

I know alot of instructor that give a "package" rate for Open water and advanced class. I think maybe advanced and rescue would be a better experience.

Just my opinion....

Back
Top Bottom