Shore Spearfishing Tampa/St. Pete area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pontiac214

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok I have been searching every where for any info as to where to spearfish in the Tampa/St.Pete area. I recently just got a speargun and new B/C and I am itching to use it. The only prob is me and my buddy have no boat so we try to find shore dives to do.I have herd of people spearing near the bridges around here but was wondering if anyone knows what bridge and how to get to it. Even if we have to swim 200 yards or so its not to bad. Im really looking for sheepshead.Or even if anybody knows of ledges or reefs we can swim out to anything at all.
Thanks for the info.

Ok I have been searching every where for any info as to where to spearfish in the Tampa/St.Pete area. I recently just got a speargun and new B/C and I am itching to use it. The only prob is me and my buddy have no boat so we try to find shore dives to do.I have herd of people spearing near the bridges around here but was wondering if anyone knows what bridge and how to get to it. Even if we have to swim 200 yards or so its not to bad. Im really looking for sheepshead.Or even if anybody knows of ledges or reefs we can swim out to anything at all.
Thanks for the info.

Here are some spearfishing regs that you might need to know. If fishing is allowed on the bridge, you aren't allowed to spearfish within 100 yards of it.

Also, make sure you get the proper license.

You May NOT Spearfish (excluding bowhunting and gigging):

-- Effective July 1, 2001, Spearfishing of marine and freshwater species in freshwater is prohibited. Possesion of a spear gun in or on freshwater is also prohibited.

-- Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed.
-- Within 100 feet of any part of a jetty that is above the surface of the sea--except for the last 500 yards of a jetty that extends more than 1,500 yards from the shoreline.

-- In Collier County and in Monroe County from Long Key north to the Dade County line.

-- For any fish for which spearing is expressly prohibited by law.

-- In any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Recreation and Parks. (Possession of spearfishing equipment is prohibited in these areas, unless it is unloaded and properly stored.) Fishermen who catch and/or sell fish harvested by spearing are subject to the same rules and limitations that other fishermen in the state are required to follow.

Back
Top Bottom