PG: Club Mabuhay vs. Portofino

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasonC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any comments on the above resorts?

Looking for reasonable cost and comfort, decent meals.

TIA

Either or is fine....both are good.

Mabuhay is probably more convenient for divng.

If diving, go for mabuhay and ABwonderdivers. Excellent place for both beginners and experts. Good service, safety in top, nice people. Actualle the best diveshop I´ve ever been to.

kim bjoern

gio (midwestdiver) has stayed in portofino. he should have some comments about the place...

there are lots of places to stay in PG. those i've tried include sunsplash inn (really basic, homey and close to dive operators) and out of the blue (*sigh* :sigh: it was that wonderful to stay in)

i think it was in club mabuhay where our lunch was served by supper. :lotsalove: and my first time to see maggie lose her cool. we've never had such lousy service in PG. :shakehead:

:bouncesbl

i think it was in club mabuhay where our lunch was served by supper. :lotsalove: and my first time to see maggie lose her cool. we've never had such lousy service in PG. :shakehead:

:bouncesbl

I have to second this about club mabuhay after having to stay there for 4 days this past weekend. The service was TERRIBLE. As Iris said, I've never received such HORRID service in Puerto Galera.

It's really a shame because the resort is very aesthetically pleasing (including the rooms) but it stops there. I stayed in the family suite and the cleaning job was horrid. Not only, it was THE WORSE resort management (not to mention LAZY and SHADY) I have ever experienced in the PI...this is a powerful statement since I've done a fair bit of travelling around the Philippines. Let's see, some things I remember: dog crap right at our steps not being cleaned up for the entire weekend, the bar to our bathroom was broken and not fixed when asked repeatedly to do so, trying to kick us out of our table because "the divers usually sat" there (screw you we were there first how dare you try to kick us out, boy they got an earful from me for that one), the toilette bowl smelling - and I cringe to say this - like HOT CROTCH when we got there AND continuing to smell like HOT CROTCH after telling them to *******king clean the *******king thing over and over again, pre-ordering breakfast the night before and telling them we wanted it at 7am sharp only to wake up and find out that the cook forgot to leave the keys to the kitchen (where the **** is the extra set of keys that management is supposed to have for moments like this?!?!?), the restaurant screwing up our order for the Nth time plus taking too long (even if we're the only ones there), ....the list goes on.

I complained about our accomodations to all my contacts I've made in PG and they all said the same thing about the resort - too laid back for their own good with a "just give me my salary" attitude. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that when you pay a certain amount of money for accomodations, you expect a certain level of service. Club Mabuhay certainly did not live up to its expectations. Save yourself the grievance and just book a room for the same price at El Galleon, Out of the Blue, Atlantis, or even Portofino. At least there you'll get the service you're paying for.

It's certainly not the first place I have received poor service in the PI, and I don't like writing bad reviews, however, Club Mabuhay really left a sour taste in my mouth.

Thankfully all the fun activities in PG still made it a great weekend. But I feel bad for the FSL boatman who was helping me up the gang plank because I took out my frustrations on him ("putang ena, sabi ko iyaw patulong mo ako!" <-- I know my tagalog is unrefined so feel free to laugh).

Now let's try to write something good....The pool is nice and very refreshing. The dive shop on both sides of the resort looked very well run. There's a sari sari store in the resort in case you need some water or what not.

But seriously. There are way better places to stay in Puerto Galera.

I seem to remember very poor service when I ate there with the PPD crew. Plenty of better places around that deserve your hard earned.

Z...

I stayed at Portofino about 4 years ago. I was in the cheapie studio in the back.
Never had any problems. Excellent food, good service, nice folks. Went diving with
Action divers next door. They were ok but I was dissapointed with the diving in the Sabang area.
There was some major run off at the time (fall) and the viz was only about 30 feet.
HTH

I seem to remember very poor service when I ate there with the PPD crew. Plenty of better places around that deserve your hard earned.

Z...
awww... but that's where you first laid eyes on maggie... :D

I have to second this about club mabuhay after having to stay there for 4 days this past weekend. The service was TERRIBLE. As Iris said, I've never received such HORRID service in Puerto Galera.

It's really a shame because the resort is very aesthetically pleasing (including the rooms) but it stops there. I stayed in the family suite and the cleaning job was horrid. Not only, it was THE WORSE resort management (not to mention LAZY and SHADY) I have ever experienced in the PI...this is a powerful statement since I've done a fair bit of travelling around the Philippines. Let's see, some things I remember: dog crap right at our steps not being cleaned up for the entire weekend, the bar to our bathroom was broken and not fixed when asked repeatedly to do so, trying to kick us out of our table because "the divers usually sat" there (screw you we were there first how dare you try to kick us out, boy they got an earful from me for that one), the toilette bowl smelling - and I cringe to say this - like HOT CROTCH when we got there AND continuing to smell like HOT CROTCH after telling them to *******king clean the *******king thing over and over again, pre-ordering breakfast the night before and telling them we wanted it at 7am sharp only to wake up and find out that the cook forgot to leave the keys to the kitchen (where the **** is the extra set of keys that management is supposed to have for moments like this?!?!?), the restaurant screwing up our order for the Nth time plus taking too long (even if we're the only ones there), ....the list goes on.

I complained about our accomodations to all my contacts I've made in PG and they all said the same thing about the resort - too laid back for their own good with a "just give me my salary" attitude. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that when you pay a certain amount of money for accomodations, you expect a certain level of service. Club Mabuhay certainly did not live up to its expectations. Save yourself the grievance and just book a room for the same price at El Galleon, Out of the Blue, Atlantis, or even Portofino. At least there you'll get the service you're paying for.

It's certainly not the first place I have received poor service in the PI, and I don't like writing bad reviews, however, Club Mabuhay really left a sour taste in my mouth.

Thankfully all the fun activities in PG still made it a great weekend. But I feel bad for the FSL boatman who was helping me up the gang plank because I took out my frustrations on him ("putang ena, sabi ko iyaw patulong mo ako!" <-- I know my tagalog is unrefined so feel free to laugh).

Now let's try to write something good....The pool is nice and very refreshing. The dive shop on both sides of the resort looked very well run. There's a sari sari store in the resort in case you need some water or what not.

But seriously. There are way better places to stay in Puerto Galera.
wow... never seen you so worked up on an operation, chip...

"horrid" mustn't even come close...

Jag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom