fish bite back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reeldive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Shot a nice triggerfish last week. They are notoriuosly hard to string up so I ran the stringer through its eyes. That worked fine untill I was on my safety stop and the darn thing took a bite out of my leg and wouldn't let go untill I squeezed him behind the mouth. ended up with a 1" diameter by 1/2 " deep hole in my calf OUCH! Got my revenge at the supper table that night though

Are they good? I see the blue ones hanging around but not really that big...maybe 1-2 lbs. They're hard to clean, no?

It's the only fish that I ram the stringer through the mouth and out the gills. And they bite hard!!

Trigger is an excellent tasting fish, with a very flaky white meat and almost no blood lines. You need to not shoot the ornamentals and I stick to just the all grey triggers. When you do find triggers, there is usually a 'nest' of them and if you are slow, they will swim towards you. Pick the biggest one and take it home.

For fileting, you need a strong point knife. You'll have to actually stab the skin to break it, then start wrenching the knife down to the belly area where the skin is softer and easier to slice. If your knife is just the slightest bit dull, you'll be at fileting station a long time. After you are done, you'll need to sharpen your knife again.

Sorry about your leg Reeldive, got any pictures??

Here's one from before that I shot, notice the stringer through the mouth

DSC01386.jpg

There is only a small portion of edible meat on the trigger as they have huge stomachs but I agree, it is delicious. I actually bent a good fillet knife once while trying that puncture method to get through the skin. They are TOUGH! I use a serrated knife now then finish with a good fillet knife. Broil or saute them with a little butter, garlic and old-bay. Or you can try breading and deep frying them.

LOL Many Florida spearos hvve learned that not-soon-to-be forgotten lesson. I was on a trip when a female spearo was bitten high on the inside of the thigh by an eye-strung Trigger. She was at her safety stop, and did not get it loose until she got on board. Now THAT had to hurt.

I know this is a really old post...but just wanted to give you a heads up on Triggerfish- they have been known to bite ears off! So don't let the cool little ones get close enough to your head because the ears are tempting for them...hasn't happened to me on the ear yet but have gotten a nasty bite on the arm.

I got a scar on my forearm from a missing chunk of flesh. First trigger I ever bagged was probably a 6lb sucker, he latched on and didnt let go till I got in his brain with my knife.

i had to do the same thing. they're persistent, i'll give them that...

Welcome to the club my friend. Those bastards bite hard don't they. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom