Oceanic Geo (Aeris Manta)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTT103

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I have been waffling between purchasing the Mares Nemo Excel and Suunto D4. Many kind people on this board offered really good advice; however, I walked into an out of town dive shop over the weekend and spotted the Oceanic Geo, which I also learned is co-branded as the Aeris Manta. I picked up a brochure and reviewed the manual on their web site this afternoon. There isn't much posted on this board about it, but I wanted to get some opinions. The unit seems to have everything I want except for an ascent rate bar graph. It alerts you of excessive speed via an alarm and text. I REALLY like the fact that it has a user replaceable battery, as the Mares and Suunto does not. Any users out there?

I have an Aeris Manta computer. I have dived for years with just tables, and still plan my dive with tables. This means that I look at the Manta for the depth (even though I have the depth gauge on the SPG also), water temperature and bottom time. I still let it in NORM mode (computer) instead of GAUGE, even if I disregard its (more optimistic than tables) predictions, just for the fun of seeing how it is to have a computer on my wrist and how the nitrogen load bar grows. I also enjoy downloading my dive profiles after. It is also a nice snorkeling toy.

My opinion (even if I under-use it) is that Manta seems to be a nice computer. The interface was not hard to learn, it provides all the information in 1-2 screens. I also missed the vertical speed indicator - it would have been a nice feature, but I have learned that it will first display a static warning (when closing to the maximum allowed speed), then an animated warning (when closing even more), then finally an alarm when you go over the maximum allowed speed. When you get used to this, it is enough (after all you are warned before passing the limit).

Thanks for the information. I will call in a few minutes and order an Oceanic. I just don't need any more hassles in my life, and the thought of having to send a watch across the country to have a battery replaced is one hassle I certainly can avoid. It's a shame becuase I really liked the D4.

One of my computers is the Aeris Manta, and I find myself using it more and more often. I can wear it as a watch, or can attach the extended band to fit over my drysuit sleeve. I like it.

Picked up a Manta a couple of months ago and have about 18 dives on it- so far it's been very good. Easy to read and understand. Downloads are simple.

I recently went shopping for a computer and had three-and-one-half concerns (in no particular order): (1) wrist; (2) nitrox capable; (3) user-replaceable battery; and (3.5) low profile so I wouldn't feel I had a breadbox on my wrist during SI or while having a beer after the last of the day's dive. Within this framework, I wanted to pay as little as I needed to -- and of course I wanted to be sure I was focused on basic fundamentals such as readability at depth, manufacturer with prior dive computer products, etc. To date I've been a warm-water vacation diver and I didn't have any interest in springing for things like wireless air integration, digital compass, super-sophisticated download capabilties, etc. -- basically a simple, wearable, computer. The user-replacebale battery became one of the defining requirements in my search.

I ended up selecting the Oceainc Geo (same as Aeris Manta) and used it for a dozen+ dives in Belize recently. Worked very well. The manual isn't the most well written, but it provides enough to familiarize oneself with the functions and display screens. Couldn't really play with the dive mode screens until a dive, but when I did on the first dive it was intuitive and easy. The display was clear and easy to read (I was in tropical waters) and the buttons easy to control (no gloves). Encountered one warning on low NDL time and the alarm warning was quieter than others' computers' warnings I had heard on the dive but loud enough to get my attention; also experienced one "fast ascent" warning and again was not overbearing but enough to attract attention. The dive log / history function was adequate after the dive (I didn't spring for the download-to-computer capabilities so have no sense of the nature of the desktop software for dive profiles). The computer's profile over-all is not much more than a sports watch.

I'll dive Monterey soon; hope I have no issues with visibility / readability of the comp (really have no expectation of same) or with operating buttons with gloves (we'll see). And I figured (and continue to figure) when making the purchase that if I ever wanted a more complex computer I'd have the Geo as a backup. So end result is that I feel it was money well-spent and would recommend it to others looking for a straightforward and very economical wrist computer based on my limited experience with it thus far.

I have the Oceanic Geo and have used it for several dives so far. Very good product. The download cable for your computer is expensive but that is something you can order at a later time. Display easy to see underwater and I have worn it as my watch mostly since purchasing.

Thanks for all of your replies and for reaffirming my decision. It looks like the watch will be delivered on Saturday. Another toy for me to play with :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom