OW enLIGHTNING experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kane(adian)

Contributor
Reaction score
Well awhile back, there was a thread about lightning, and whatnot, so I figured that I would add my new lightning experience. This past weekend I did my OW checkout dives. It was overcast, and had been trying to rain all day. There were two groups, alternating in the water, while the other did fills, briefings, debriefings, etc. So, my group is in the water, have been down for most half hour or so, we are doing our CESAs. I did mine with the instructor, and was bobbing around on the surface for a few seconds, while my buddy (the last person) was doing his. Lighning struck the lake, but I did not see how far away, as it was behind me. One of the people in the water said 50 ft. Another on shore said that it was near the shore, which was 300 yards or so away. Once it hit, we all started to head for shore, the DM and instructor were on the surface quickly, and we all raced for the shore. Now Murphy's Law states that at times when everyone wants out of the water, someone will get a leg cramp, and that is exactly what happened, so, they got pulled in. The rain stopped eventually, and this was THE FIRST hit of lightning that day. We were not just playing our chances, it just happened. My dive buddy, who was coming up with the instructor at the time this occured says that he did not remember where he was immediatly after, and the instructor said that he had this really blank look on his face. All is well, and no one appeared to be harmed by it, although, those under the surface said they got hit pretty hard. For those of you who have ever touched an electric fence, and had that weird feeling in your arm, it was like one of those throughout the entire body. For those city folk, who have not had backyard electricity lessons, just stick a couple of paper clips in any household electrical socket, actually then again, just don't. For this only being my second open water dive, it was quite the experience, and will make for stories.

See you under the water.

Ow! I thought that the electricity must pass through the water somewhat... I was wondering about that too on Sunday when we were caught in a squall - fortunately there wasn't any lightning near us, but we did have to abort the dive because the little squid boat we were on wouldn't have stood the swell and waves while we were down below... *sniff* :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom