Help me book flights to Sorong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BikerManiac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Because I appreciate all the advices my fellow divers can provide. Please help me book flights to Sorong Indonesia from New York City. I want to flight out for 3 weeks in mid September

If anybody from the east coast has done that please share your experieneces.

:eyebrow:

I suggest you fly into SIngapore.
You can book Singapore-Manado online with Silkair & get an e-ticket.
Then get your dive resort to book the domestic flight from Manado to Sorong.

I flew into Sorong 5 weeks ago. Domestic Flights to these remote locations can be unrealiable so i would definately recommed you plan carefully and add a extra day or 2 or any connecting international flight.

Last edited:
never tried... but Lion Air can be booked online. Manado - Sorong

We are currently working with Peter Hughes on this itinerary. They suggest Singapore-Bali-Ambon-Sorong. They say the problem with the Mando flights is they get canceled and do not run consistently.

did not know its possible to fly Bali-Ambon.

I have had a look on the net as Ambon is on my things to do list.
Only found flights from Jkta/Surb/Sorong.

If you end up transiting through Bali, there's no need to go to Singapore at all. Cathay Pacific will take you from New York - Los Angeles (or San Francisco) - Hong Kong - Bali, and hundreds cheaper than Singapore Airlines. Still good service, good meals, etc. From there you have your choice of Garuda, Lion Air, Merpati.

Admittedly I did this back in 2004, but as Highdesert suggests, it is possible to do Cathay Pacific JFK-Hong Kong-Jakarta or Bali. I did Jakarta.

I overnighted at the Jakarta airport (there was a KFC there so you won't starve) and the next morning flew to Sorong with Pelita (now only doing charter business) via Makassar (aka Ujung Padang). Nowadays I think that you can do this with Lion Air or Merpati.

But Singapore-Manado-Sorong is definitely an option worth looking into as well.

For me, it'd boil down to money and how many overnights in between before getting to Sorong.

We are currently working with Peter Hughes on this itinerary. They suggest Singapore-Bali-Ambon-Sorong. They say the problem with the Mando flights is they get canceled and do not run consistently.

That is a going out of the way a bit and you will be flying the same reliable Lion, Meripati or Garuda (being very sarcastic) Indonesian airlines suck!...But when you get there:D

Suggestion do the Monado route and go to Lembeh Straits....some of the finest diving I have done.

Because I appreciate all the advices my fellow divers can provide. Please help me book flights to Sorong Indonesia from New York City. I want to flight out for 3 weeks in mid September

If anybody from the east coast has done that please share your experieneces.

:eyebrow:

Flights more reliable to Sorong either out of Jakarta or Bali.
Flights out of Manado to Sorong can be delayed or canceled due to weather

I did Jakarta -Sorong via Ujung Pandan.... it delayed at Ujung pandan for more than 5 hrs. however, my Sorong-Manado flight was on time.

Back
Top Bottom