Venture vs travel wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

longtailbda

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've recently ordered a new transpac and venture wing; however they had just sold the last of the old 30# versions. I kept the order for the transpac but decided to hold off on the wing, 45#s seems to be an awful lot of lift for the type of diving I'm envisioning using it for.
I will be using it predominately for tropical beach dives using Al 80's and the occasional 100's. The main reason I chose the transpac is that these dives will require a fair amount of walking.
I'm fairly well set up for cold water but on occasion I may also use this set up or NE beach dives as well.
The main questions that I have are 1. Does anybody know how the new venture wing is going to react in the water with the low inflation levels that will be required? 2. Should I Just skip it and go with the travel wing since it seems to have lower lift?
Tahnks.

I have the previous version of the Venture wing. If you look at them side by side, there is not a whole lot of difference so I'm not sure if the wing was just re-rated for more lift or if there are actual changes. But anyway, I like the Venture a lot more for a few reasons; 1. It is longer and the lift is has a better distribution so it will be easier to trim out, especially if you have weight at your hips (which you probably will w/ the Transpac) 2. It is compatible with any standard BP/W and the Travel wing is not. When the wing is empty or near empty, it will not have any adverse effect because it is a pretty narrow wing and it will not trap air or taco too badly. If you have your heart set on the 30# version, I'm positive you can find one on the boards or on eBay. Hope this helps!

Hi Longtailbda,

The new Travel 360 can now be used with backplates, so if you prefer a wing with less lift it might be a good option for you. Have a look here for more information:
SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Travel 360 Wing

The difference between the old and new Venture Wing are the 1.5 inch side panels, otherwise the wings are very similar.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Best,
Ag

Back
Top Bottom