Anything interesting off Stage Fort Park?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mello-yellow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know that bottom off Stage Fort Park is mostly sand, but is there anything worthwhile? With a scooter I can get fairly far from shore.

Attachments

• StageFortPark.JPG
    StageFortPark.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 55
I know that bottom off Stage Fort Park is mostly sand, but is there anything worthwhile? With a scooter I can get fairly far from shore.

mostly golf balls, bring your pitching wedge

Actually there is a cluster of large rocks off to the far right at the seawall below the park.

I have seen strippers cruising the rocks off to the right and I know a few lobsters have been taken there. I recall how deep it was, but I believe fairly shallow. Be careful wandering out too far to the left, there is an active boating channel that way. I tend to head straight out from teh beach on the rare occasions I dive there and head for the big rocks that break the surface at low tide. They are at the top of a pile that spreads out quite a way. I haven't been beyond there so no idea if it gets more exciting. If you're looking for something a bit more diverse from shore, check out Lane's Cove. There is a drop off straight out and to the left a bit down to about 60 feet. There is a lot to see out there.

I have a couple questions though, do you tie the flag to the scooter? How do you know that the flag hasn't been dragged underwater?

I dove there at the end of June and it was pretty nice. We dove straight out towards the rock pile, and although the terrain wasn't very interesting, the sea life was. Moon snails & skate all over the place, with some crab and flounder. The interesting part was finding a couple of moon snails having a lobster meal - they were wrapped around the lobster carcass, apparently dissolving the prey with digestive juices. One of them had a claw sticking out of its front end, making it look like a parrot. There was a skate right next to it, probably waiting for leftovers.

I have seen strippers cruising the rocks off to the right and I know a few lobsters have been taken there. I recall how deep it was, but I believe fairly shallow. Be careful wandering out too far to the left, there is an active boating channel that way. I tend to head straight out from teh beach on the rare occasions I dive there and head for the big rocks that break the surface at low tide.
Do you mean from the beach in the little cove, accessible from park proper, or the beach farther west, accessible from the snack stand? I know classes are often held at that one.
They are at the top of a pile that spreads out quite a way.
Is that where you see words "Tablet Rock" on the map I attached?
I haven't been beyond there so no idea if it gets more exciting. If you're looking for something a bit more diverse from shore, check out Lane's Cove. There is a drop off straight out and to the left a bit down to about 60 feet. There is a lot to see out there.

I have a couple questions though, do you tie the flag to the scooter? How do you know that the flag hasn't been dragged underwater?

I only use the scooter for surface swims, to get farther from shore. When I get to the descent point, I attach the scooter to my flag and leave it bobbing on the surface. From your description it sounds like at Stage Fort Park scooter is excessive.

I had been to Lane's Cove many times. It is certainly one of places where scooter is useful.

Do you mean from the beach in the little cove, accessible from park proper, or the beach farther west, accessible from the snack stand? I know classes are often held at that one.

I meant from the park through the split in the wall and down the rocky beach. I really only dive there once or twice a year. Usually DUI demo days just to get an early season dive in and at our clubs "Scuba Chicks" event.

Is that where you see words "Tablet Rock" on the map I attached?

I believe the rock I'm talking about is marked as Field Rocks in 14' to 16'.

I only use the scooter for surface swims, to get farther from shore. When I get to the descent point, I attach the scooter to my flag and leave it bobbing on the surface. From your description it sounds like at Stage Fort Park scooter is excessive.

If you're only using it for surface swims, you should see if there is close enough beach/shore access for Lobster Cove in Manchester. There is quite a bit to see/harvest out there and it might be worth using your scooter underwater to cover all that ground (as long as the battery lasts long enough).

My son and I dive with scooters all the time. We use a small wreck reel that I hold with one hand. I do not attach it to the scooter, so if I am feeling my arm being pulled up, then I release the thumb screw on the reel and pay out some more line. I then retighten and off we go. The only thing we are working on is a web crotch for my BC so that I can attach the DPV directly and then have one hand free for the reel. The one big thing I will tell you is if you get shallow, reel the extra line in. Do not leave much slack. If you stop, then putt the line in. If you don't it can get drawn into the propeller and then you are cooked. We have had to disassemble one twice to unwind the line. Fortunately no damage.:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom