Trailer Safety Inspection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaAndDreams

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Any one here have any idea what the requirement is for a trailer safety inspection? What does the trailer have to have? It carries all of about..oh 200 lbs...

Any one here have any idea what the requirement is for a trailer safety inspection? What does the trailer have to have? It carries all of about..oh 200 lbs...

I'm sure the next officer to see it will point out any improvements needed:wink:

My only experience with trailer inspections has been 2nd hand via a friend that trailers a 28' Corsair Trimaran.

Because of the size and weight of his 28' boat, his trailer had a hydraulic braking system where a forward surge of the trailer against the hitch ball would activate a master cylinder, which in turn caused brake cylinders in each wheel to apply the brakes.

We "fixed" the system by removing both the master and slave hydraulic cylinders, as well as removing the brake pads and any other associated hardware.

For the last 3 years, the little detail of no brakes on a heavily loaded trailer hasn't kept him from that getting a pass on the trailer safety inspection. Even when he show up with the large boat on the trailer.

It doesn't seem like they check very much. I'd just make sure that your tires aren't bald, that your stoplight/turn signal hookup works, and that you have safety chains.

Lights are easy - You just get one of those $40trailer kits that hangs off the boat itself (I think my last one was only $20 ...quite a few years ago though) - Registration, if it's not current/clear, now that's the tricky part around here.

Aloha, Tim

well that was retarded...the dude didn't even have me turn on the lights...walked around the trailer and gave me my pass...what a joke.

Good thing I spend time and money fixing the lights that no one will be able to see anyways with the boat on the trailer....

no, they are the kind that will rust after I put the stupid trailer in...just in time for next year's "SAFETY" inspection....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom