Help me dive in Alaska!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brn2cruz

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
:diver::diver::diver::diver:I am a PADI divemaster and am dry suit certified. I will be in Alaska in late August on a Royal Caribbean land/cruise tour. RC only offers a snorkeling excursion - no diving... NO DIVING??!!!?? Please help me. I will be in Ketchikan, which I understand is my most likely possibility, on August 27. Thanks!!

Your best bet is to contact Allen or Saunya at Wind & Water (Wind & Water Dive Charters and SCUBA), they're the local PADI diveshop. It's a mom and pop place, so there's no guarantee that they'd be available the day you'll be in town to take you on a guided dive.

If they are busy, they may be willing to put you in contact with some local divers that would be willing to show you around (I'd do it but I see that the 27th is a Wednesday, and I'll probably be sleeping because I work graveyard! :( ). Or you could just rent a car and rent some gear from the shop, and have them point you to some local shore dives - I'd recommend Sunset and Mountain Point. Sunset has a sailboat wreck that's kind of fun, and Mt. Point is a really nice wall dive with a lot of life.

What time are you going to be in town?

Thanks for the recommendations! I will be there 9a-6p. I am not comfortable diving in unknown waters alone (I am not coming with a dive buddy) nor am I comfortable diving in unknown waters without someone familar with that area (that is simply unsafe - I'm a divemaster, I know better :) )

Is Wind and Water the only shop in town?

No, the other one is Alaska Deep Six, but I think they mainly cater to commercial/harvest divers. I don't think they have regular hours either. W&W is a PADI 5 star dive shop mostly geared towards recreational divers, though the owners are both tech divers as well.

I've sent you a PM as well.

OK - Seems like Wind and Water in Ketchikan has a charter that day but it is full, so let's try this....

I will also be in:

Juneau on 8/24 from 8a-9p
Skagway on 8/25 from 7a-8:30p
Icy Strait Point on 8/26 from 7a-4p

Can anyone help me dive in any of these places?

No responses. I have signed up for a snorkeling escursion through the cruise line. Better than nothing. I am going to meet with the Tour Officer when I board to see if they can arrange something for me through whoever does the snorkel trip.

Back
Top Bottom