Clark Hill/Lake Thurmond this Sat.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Next week I'm in!!

Next week I'm in!!

Great! Give a shout closer to the weekend to confirm exact location. One day next weekend, some folks are talking 'bout "gator wrestlin' in the river" - naw, but if no rain, it might be nice as this is as warm as it gets. 7mm suit (70 degree h2o) is still great as we do 2hr. plus dives sometimes and being warm and relaxed does extend bottom time. :zen:

Great Diveprof. If you plan on hitting the river I'm with you there too. I just got to go diving and hopefully meet some buddies. Without 'em, all I have is a couple of c-cards and lots of expensive dust collectors. Thanks again. But also, I don't want to sound as though I'm pushing myself on you guys.

No, we always welcome new divers to our group. Besides, the more divers between me and the river banks, the fewer gators I tend to see. Of course, this also mean new divers for our group are always needed....:D Seriously, come join the fun.

Two special local dives today. Vis in the 20-40' range has improved. The worst vis I saw today was about 5'. On the walls it was 20'+. Big cats, several large bass and stripers (am I spelling this right, I'm talking about the hybrid fish, not the ladies on lower Broad st.:D - not that I know anything 'bout that). As there was just two of us this morning and my dive buddy is very experienced, dive one was planned as a "work dive" as I wanted to remove the monofilament connected to the anchor rope on the 100' wall. We descended on the 40' ledge (8' vis today- much better than last week) and dropped down to the angel statue, through the trench to the 100' wall. The anchor with the rope was covered in monofilament with hard to see strands running everywhere to the wall. No matter how careful we were, we still got tangled in monofilament as we cut away the rope and monofilament (made 20+ cuts). There is just something about being entangled in monofilament @ 100' that might make one uneasy but we handled it calmly and cut away all of the lines. It is now a much safer site. Vis was great. We dove the entire 100' wall, N. wall to the big stump, then turned East into the cove (lots of fish in the hydrilla), made our turn point and headed South through the hydrilla (cats, stripers, bass, various sunfish and juvenile bass/stripers). We swam around a through the big tree on the bottom, to the pipe and then through the stumps. On one stump we saw a sizeable cat laying in an almost vertical position on a stump. Then it was up throught Clark Hill Kelp forest to our exit. 1:08 dive time to a max depth of 101'.
Dive two was to the 3 big rocks (huge cat), to the pool filters and to the 40' ledge. then it was downward to the angel statue, through the trench. In the trench we ran into the herring. This is way cool. If you can imagine running into several thousand fish in a hige bait ball. We followed them down to the 80' wall and were with them for several minutes. Way cool. We dove the entire 80' wall (20'+ vis today - no lights needed). Then it was onward to the missle, back to the 3 big rocks, and onward to the plane. Several large basss and crappie on the plane. Then we followed the line along the bouyancy course to the ski boat and then along the rocks of the dam to our exit. Dive time was 1:11 and max depth was 80'. Two great dives. Tomorrow we dive the lake at 1pm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom