Clear Lake, Oregon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MechDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Would like to plan a dive to Clear Lake (near Salem I think) for our dive club. Any contact info or exact location info would be appreciated.
This is the lake with 200' vis near Salem.

Thanks
MD

http://www.mediusres.com/orwabc/index.html?page=OR-ClearLake.html

I dived Clear Lake once when I was first getting into diving.

The vis was probably better than 200', you could see completely across the lake in some places. There was a little fish life under the dock, but it was pretty sterile otherwise.

It was memorable for the vis, the fact that it was the first time I went deeper than 100', and the extreme temp (<40F and I was diving wet)...brrr.

cyklon_300 once bubbled...
http://www.mediusres.com/orwabc/index.html?page=OR-ClearLake.html

I dived Clear Lake once when I was first getting into diving.

The vis was probably better than 200', you could see completely across the lake in some places. There was a little fish life under the dock, but it was pretty sterile otherwise.

It was memorable for the vis, the fact that it was the first time I went deeper than 100', and the extreme temp (<40F and I was diving wet)...brrr.

Looked all over the oregon.gov website and never did find it. Thanks for the link.

Had heard there wasn't much there to see...more of an excuse to go somewhere than anything. The folks in Seattle have Puget Sound so polluted with salt, us river divers can't hardly submerge there anymore :D

MD

MechDiver once bubbled...
The folks in Seattle have Puget Sound so polluted with salt, us river divers can't hardly submerge there anymore :D
I hear your river is so muddy that it is even more buoyant than the Dead Sea.... with just about as much to see.

Anyway... we don't have 200' viz... but come on over and I'll take you diving.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Anyway... we don't have 200' viz... but come on over and I'll take you diving.

Am working on that, thanks Pug.

Heading to Hoodsport the end of the month to blow He bubbles at Sund Rock hopefully.

MD

There is a petrified(sp) forest at the bottom of the one part of the lake. In the summer there are a lot of people paddling the boats all over the place and trying to catch some of the stocked fish.

Right now it is pretty much snowed in. The snow should melt soon. Doesn't make any diff when you go as far as the water temp. it is in the mid 30's all year long. It never actually freezes over, although it does get a little thin ice at the edges during the winter. There are two entrances to the lake. The main entrance is to the resort. If you go a little west of there, about 1/2 to 1 mile, I forget exactly, there is another way to get to it. This takes you to a campground on the other side of the lake from the resort.

The mosquitos are terrible if you go during the summer, so take bug spray, or pain killers! If you go soon, before the snow all melts, it would be less painfull. Right now it is quite a walk through some pretty good snow, but you would have the place all to yourselves.

Have fun, and if you want another lake to see while you are down this way, check out Waldo lake. It is a lot bigger, not much to see though. It is just as clear if not more than clear lake. I have read about people doing night dives there and looking up from 100 feet down and watching the stars!

Later, Hawk.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Ok... maaaaybe I'll have to head over to Hood canal too.

Not trying to avoid you, we just know Hood and have great accomodations and dive shop there.

Would be great to meet you. One of my buddies was diving in Oz for 2 months, so we need to get his head screwed back on straight. Other is getting new equipment that we have to setup and get squared away. Hopefully we can fit a couple mix dives in amongst that somewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom